The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I typically don't buy slingshots. I do own a few I've paid for like my Rambone, my Scout, my Hathcock Target Sniper and my old Marksman. The slingshots I hold on to are those made by the amazing folks here on the forum. But there was one I had yet to purchase...

The other day I received a package from Corfu, Greece. Allow me to introduce "Charlize" aka "Theron RM". I call her Charlize because she's quite attractive. That, and I'm certain Nicholas named this design "Theron" with the famous beauty in mind - right Nicholas?? ;) Produced by master Saderath, this is a fine piece of Greek craftsmanship. When I took it outside for the initial shoot, I discovered that the piece of wood running down the center spine of the fork was 'glimmering' in the sunlight. I can't remember seeing a piece of wood do that before. According to Nicholas, it's Red Meranti. I'm not sure if the palm swell is the same as the color is just a bit different. Well, I may just have to get some of that wood for myself. I did try to capture that glimmering in a photo, but it just really didn't show in the pictures.

Anyway, the package was loaded with extra rubber and lots of wonderful pouches. I bought this as part of Saderath's recent clearance sale, and I'm glad I did. I ended up setting up a target from the "Accuracy Platfor(u)m" thread that I've been participating in recently. At first, I was a bit all over the place, then I started to hit my mark. I ended up shooting over and over until the target started falling apart. This one will definitely be in my rotation of regular shooters.

Great work Nicholas! I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. Now here are a few photos of Charlize in her new moss-laden Pacific northwest home - enjoy!

Attachments

·
Thread Hijacker
3,375 Posts
The sheer craftsmanship and attention to details is very evident here, as in all Saderath designs! Excellent work Nicholas, and a great purchase E!
Love the photography too, bonus points for the use of the obligatory mossy rock in the shot composition:D

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sheer craftsmanship and attention to details is very evident here, as in all Saderath designs! Excellent work Nicholas, and a great purchase E!
Love the photography too, bonus points for the use of the obligatory mossy rock in the shot composition:D
Around here, you learn to work with moss, because it's not going anywhere :p It's funny - that stuff isn't nearly as pretty covering everything in my yard :mad:

Glad you enjoy the photos. Saderath does some amazing work.

·
Administrator
10,882 Posts
Sexy just like her name sake.

·
MILF of the board
2,035 Posts
He does such good work! Beautiful slingshot, great choice!

·
Meh!
1,124 Posts
She is a stunner!
My parents kitchen counter tops are made with meranti, beautiful stuff. Like you observed it kind of shimmers in the light.
I might have to do something with the offcuts I kept now.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Around here, you learn to work with moss, because it's not going anywhere :p It's funny - that stuff isn't nearly as pretty covering everything in my yard :mad:

Glad you enjoy the photos. Saderath does some amazing work.
Sweet slingshot- that is a beaut!

Regarding the moss, do you have a fertilizer spreader? If so, go get some lime at the hardware store. It's cheap- about 6 buck for 50 pounds. Apply that 50 pounds to the yard per 3000SF. If you're not sure how much square footage of yard you have, you can find out using the website www.findlotsize.com.

Do this once a month for the growing season (spring to fall) and then do it twice a year afterward.

Here's why- Moss can only grow in soil that is acidic. If you neutralize the acid, the moss will go and you can grow healthy grass instead.

-Wild Bill

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet slingshot- that is a beaut!

Regarding the moss, do you have a fertilizer spreader? If so, go get some lime at the hardware store. It's cheap- about 6 buck for 50 pounds. Apply that 50 pounds to the yard per 3000SF. If you're not sure how much square footage of yard you have, you can find out using the website www.findlotsize.com.

Do this once a month for the growing season (spring to fall) and then do it twice a year afterward.

Here's why- Moss can only grow in soil that is acidic. If you neutralize the acid, the moss will go and you can grow healthy grass instead.

-Wild Bill
I appreciate the advice Bill - I will certainly look to do that! I've used moss kill before, but it doesn't hold it back for long - it always comes back. Our property is 1/2 acre and about 1/2 of that is covered with grass - the rest is the house and dirt at the moment - and this time of year, much of the dirt is covered with moss as well. In addition, we have a lot of trees, so only the south portion of the lot gets a lot of sun, the rest gets partial sun or full shade. We've considered converting part of our yard to a more 'natural' state using native plants and wildflowers - which would require a bit less maintenance.

Good advice though, thank you for that birthday boy :)

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
I appreciate the advice Bill - I will certainly look to do that! I've used moss kill before, but it doesn't hold it back for long - it always comes back. Our property is 1/2 acre and about 1/2 of that is covered with grass - the rest is the house and dirt at the moment - and this time of year, much of the dirt is covered with moss as well. In addition, we have a lot of trees, so only the south portion of the lot gets a lot of sun, the rest gets partial sun or full shade. We've considered converting part of our yard to a more 'natural' state using native plants and wildflowers - which would require a bit less maintenance.

Good advice though, thank you for that birthday boy :)
It's the trees making the acidity. As tree dander decomposes, it leaches acids into the soil. Thus moss kill does no good- it doesn't fix the problem that invites the moss in the first place. I'd suggest seeding with a blend of tall fescue and perennial ryegrass in the middle of fall once you've gotten a few batches of lime down. Those species can handle more shady environs.

Yeah, I work for Scotts MiracleGro. It kinda shows...

-Wild Bill

·
906 Posts
I am really happy you like it my friend and that it found a good home!

Both the center piece and palms weal are from Red Meranti.

Haha, didn't realize this until now regarding Charlize Theron.

Actually Theron is an Ancient Greek word for Hunter

I wish you many hours of accurate shots!

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's the trees making the acidity. As tree dander decomposes, it leaches acids into the soil. Thus moss kill does no good- it doesn't fix the problem that invites the moss in the first place. I'd suggest seeding with a blend of tall fescue and perennial ryegrass in the middle of fall once you've gotten a few batches of lime down. Those species can handle more shady environs.

Yeah, I work for Scotts MiracleGro. It kinda shows...

-Wild Bill
Interesting. I didn't know the trees were the root cause :rolleyes:. We've got plants in the yard that like acidic soil, which I think is fairly common in our area - rhodies, gardenias, hydrangea - and we've got 2 big pin oaks, which I guess also like acid soil. I'm not much of a gardener, so we tend to let things go somewhat naturally. My biggest problems are the moss and the moles :mad:

I haven't seeded in quite a while, but I'm pretty sure we've got a mix of the fescue and ryegrass you mentioned. I'll try putting down some lime in the front yard as that's where it's the worst, and see what happens. It's nice to have your input available - I've talked to a number of folks about this before - you're the first to mention the lime.

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am really happy you like it my friend and that it found a good home!

Both the center piece and palms weal are from Red Meranti.

Haha, didn't realize this until now regarding Charlize Theron.

Actually Theron is an Ancient Greek word for Hunter

I wish you many hours of accurate shots!
I was going to ask about he palm swell as it appeared a bit darker, a bit more brown in color, but I also noticed the iridescence in that piece too.

I figured the name had a more interesting meaning :) So, I guess if I leave the name as Charlize Theron RM, then I could tell folks she's a 'beautiful hunter' :p

·
855 Posts
Completely with you Withak, since i got one of his too.
Very nice Slings indeed.
And i love the Pics you took, great job!

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Completely with you Withak, since i got one of his too.
Very nice Slings indeed.
And i love the Pics you took, great job!
Thanks Antraxx! I try to keep your photos in mind when I shoot slingshots. You have a real eye for that, so you're a great inspiration.

Speaking of which, I know your schedule has changed in the last months, and you're quite busy, but will we get the chance to see any more photos or creations in the near future? :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts