MDF slingshot

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by Viks, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Viks

Viks Member

Could a slingshot be made from MDF, And is it strong enough?

2. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

MDF is basically cardboard. I wouldnt feel safe using it.

3. nijam

nijam tiro loco

just don't do that. make you a favor and keep your self safe

trust me I am a carpenter

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

MDF is sawdust with glue, not advisable.

5. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i would leave MDF alone and look for multiplex instead :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

6. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

+1 With everyone here---you will be happier with something else. Fruit trees in your area, maybe.

MDF makes great targets:D. (Don't breathe mdf dust, and working it makes plenty.)

A nice looking hammer-style ss was posted on here made from that crap---thankfully the user wasn't grievously injured when it failed.

7. jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades Banned

Depends mate, look at the bazfella on YouTube, when he shows off his collection he shows two mdf models near the end of the video, he voices his concerns over them but confirms they have held up, I feel if its thick enough and you use light bands and light ammo you cud get away with it. :)

Sent from my iPad using Slingshot Forum

8. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

If you must use it, make sure it's furniture grade. Anything less and you'll definitely be in trouble.

-Wild Bill

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Bad advice. That's one hell of a wager on safety. If you win then lucky you. If you loose, it may cost an eye or some teeth. I'm just not into that kind of betting. Best to stay with hard woods.

10. jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades Banned

No not if you consider light bands on one inch mdf, that set up is as safe as houses, and may I ask have you actually tried or tested mdf as slingshot material

Sent from my iPad using Slingshot Forum

11. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I worked in a cabinet shop where nearly everything was made of that junk. I've seen enough cabs busted beyond repair from light drops to trust it for anything. Like I said, feel free to gamble your safety. I'd just not waste my time and effort on something that will be rendered useless by one drop or one fork hit. Trust me as I used to build houses, it's not safe as houses, they are made of real wood where strength is necessary.

12. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I would only recommend MDF as a template material. MDF is cheap, you can cut your design out test how it sits in your hand make changes and adjust to suit before committing the design to a more expensive piece of timber.

thats just my 2 cents, take from that what you will.

13. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

I might recommend MDF if you were going to make a slingshot to hang on the wall in a picture frame:D

14. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Why would you show off a mdf slingshot, beechwood, polished and oiled looks far better:)
    I wouldn't recommend mdf for anything, loke dolo said it breaks when you touch it.

15. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

MDF slingshots, safe as houses ;)

[​IMG]

16. jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades Banned

Everyone is not considering my opinion, so I am asking have any of you tried mdf as a material. If not " dnt knock till you've tred it" so yeh !

Joat

17. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I think what people are trying to say is that MDF as a material is not suited to slingshots. Ive never made a slingshot out of Ryvita crackers and I dont need to to realise its a bad idea. See what I mean? :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  18. jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades Banned

No because it obviously not possible to make a slingshot out of ryvita crackers but mdf is a possibility see what I mean :)

Joat

19. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

It needs some filing and sanding but I present you a Ryvita PFS :)

[​IMG]Ok, Im being silly now but the general consensus is MDF is not suitable. If you want to then give it a go and report your results. It will be interesting but be careful and safe :)

20. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Ryvita Slingshot? I think this image is fitting for you Scoobs
    [​IMG]

in all honesty we could probably make something like this out of hard tack, it would be stronger than MDF too!