Marksman Slingshot, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Reviews about commercial slingshots' started by DeanC993, Jan 2, 2014.

1. DeanC993

DeanC993 Junior Member

Hello everyone,

I bought this commercial slingshot and I was wondering if anyone else has also and what they think of it.
    The link below will bring you to a link where you should be able to see it clearly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000MD68JM

2. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

It will get you shooting and that's good, no? You can also upgrade the tubes with diy theraband tubes or install flatbands on it.

3. Moin moin,
    For starters, all OK ....
    You can just stop off to make tubes, and no tapes ...
    It is a little thick, so bad for your pocket ......
    Whether you love Hammergripp, or finger support more '?

Home-made is just something better .... or?

-
    Für den Anfang ganz OK....
    Du kannst halt nur Tubes dranmachen, und keine Bänder...
    Sie ist etwas dick, somit schlechter für die Hosentasche......
    Ob dir Hammergripp, oder Fingersupport mehr liegt`?

Selbstgebaute ist halt was besseres.... oder?

4. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I started with that slinghsot minus the wrist brace. Its a good beginner sling, and you can make it a great tube shooter with some theratube and a handle replacement.

Mine is durrently sitting in a drawer waiting to be reborn.

We all started somewhere, and thats as good a place as any

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I owned a Marksman like this when I was young. I love seeing them, brings back lots of memories! I still own a similar model that I rigged with two layers of TBG flats. Shoots very well!
    I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember a fellow here who took this model and customized it, with good results.

6. DeanC993

DeanC993 Junior Member

Thank you very much for all your replies.

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

If it gets you into the hobby it can never be a bad slingshot! :)

Ive never shot a Marksman but it seems very similar to the Barnett range. (Strike Nine and Black Widow)

Decent enough shooters but I never really got on with the tubes personally so my Strike Nine looks like this now which shows you what can be done if you get bored with it :)

[​IMG]

Happy shooting!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  8. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

How can any slingshot that doesn't break** or bend be bad? You put good bands on it, and you have a shooter. From there, it's all up to you.... can't blame bad aim on a set of prongs. lol

**I had two of those Wham-O wood slingshots when I was a kid. Both snapped quickly, just from the tension of the draw.

9. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I grew up with one of those, and bought a new one a few years ago. I like 'em pretty well and they aren't real expensive either. The older ( surgical rubber) tubes were prone to breakage, but the new yellow tubes seem to last quite a bit longer.

10. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

That was my first slingshot, too. It shot straight but I find Marksman bands to be anemic, if smooth pulling. Put some Trumark bands on it and it's a fine fork. The steel construction is quite sturdy. My father-in-law uses that same model with Daisy tubes and likes it quite well. He outshoots me and never practices.

On an aside, I think the Marksman 3040, Daisy B52, Aftermath Extreme (Kasvia or Bone Collector), and Arrow Precision Quest slingshots are all the same thing, with different tubes in the case of Marksman and Daisy (no IRL experience with the others). Marksman tubes pull nicely, Daisy tubes hit hard, Trumark's do both, Barnett's don't seem to have either.

11. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

I put a nitro dual-gold flat band set on my Dad's wrist rocket, and it works great.

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I agree with much of what has been said here - I have 2 of these slingshots - one is about 25 years old, the other a bit newer. It was the first slingshot I ever bought. I agree with what others have said - it's a sturdy slingshot and will last a long time. The bands need to go though. I have found the same as Studer1972, that the Trumark bands are a nice replacement for the stock bands, unless you want to try flat bands. But a good model to start with or have on hand for occasional plinking. Of course, it is ripe for some modifications too.

13. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I like the mods where folks remove the plastic grip and the wristbrace. Quick change from an American mass market fork to a dankungesque shooter. Dgui/pfshooter seems to be able to do his speed-shooting with a stripped down Daisy fork, so it should be plenty agile. Since the entry level daisy/marksman/barnett/trumark/etc forks run for $10 or less, you can get shooting real quick for almost no investment of time or money. There's something about shooting a fork you made yourself, and there's something about shooting a precision instrument like one of the small/individual shops, but how do you know if you'll like slingshooting enough to make it worthwhile? Every hardware store and most big box man's mall type stores carries Daisy, Marksman, or Trumark.

14. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I had a crossman wrist rocket and couldn't hit a damn thing with it, completely hated it. It put me off slingshots for 15 years or so. It was a manzanita natural that brought me back.

Sent from my ME173X using Slingshot Forum mobile app

15. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Has anyone here taken a wire frame like Scoobs showed and rigged it with flatbands with the forks pointing target side? I just thought of this and remembered Bill Herriman posting something on SSF about how it will shoot fine with forks towards you, but perform better with flatbands with the forks pointing target side. Just food for thought...

16. brendanS

brendanS New Member

i would agree that all those slingshots are the same fork, but i have done research and closely examined all of them. i fund the marksman to win ergonomically. slings like the B52 have wrist braces that are bent in a way so when you hold it the fork will not be parallel to the ground, thus your wrist is at a weird angle. the marksman is superior to commercial slingshots because of the way the wrist brace is shaped and because the fork construction goes through the handle down to the wrist brace, so when the brace folds back and has all that pressure on it, it is steel supporting steel; instead of slingshots like the b52 where the pull back force is depending on a crappy little piece of plastic. in my conclusion, i believe that the two best commercial grade steel slingshots are the marksman laserhawk and the black widow because of their similar construction.