Marble Shooter

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by dani2033, Jun 19, 2013.

1. dani2033

dani2033 New Member

Gravity-proof marble pumpgun

Hello dear community,

today I had a cool idea for a slingshot, that a friend and I want to try building. The idea is based on the M10 Hex-nut shooter by joerg, and somewhat refined. I made a rough model of how it should function, but note that the dimensions are absolutly random, so this is not a building plan, it should just give an idea.
    Since I am not very familiar with google sketchup so far, it may not be perfect, but you should get the idea.

This is, what my initial idea was:
    [​IMG]

The plan was to use the toothbrush (red) methode by joerg, to hold the marble (blue) in place.
    Also, since I am not sure, if a paracord can push a complete round marble, i decided to use a wooden block (green) as a "pusher", and tie it to the theraband (gold).

After a little refining i came up with this:
    [​IMG]

The special thing about it is, that the "holder" for the marble collapses into the bottom of the barrel, as soon as the trigger is pulled, so that the wooden pushblock can accelerate the marble and shoot it out.

Also i added a device, that pushes the marbles in the "magazine" back, so it can be cocked even if the pumpgun is pointed downwards.

The marbles are therefore filled in from the top, after the pusher is pulled forwards :)

You can download the model via Google drive, if you want, an honest opinion would be much appriciated!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3PTFJI1SVXCQXdFRUxialA2YkE/edit?usp=sharing

Also it would be awesome, if anybody would be able to build something like this, or just use my ideas as inspiration and post this here! :D

EDIT (20.06.2014, 01:13h): OK, i did some refinement, and this is basicly how i want it to look like:
    [​IMG]

Here is the sketchup of the new version:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3PTFJI1SVXCN05wYW9xQlRGdTg/edit?usp=sharing

"Hope you like it, thanks and by by!" :D

But now it is late, and i am going to sleep! :D

EDIT: fixed the worst typos, now it sould be at least readable!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  2. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I am by no means an expert to those things, but I think the sliding wooden block will consume lots of energy, maybe some leather pouch with a paracord string?
    Also when its accellerated, how do you want to stop the wood from smashing through your muzzle?

Everything else looks really promising.

3. dani2033

dani2033 New Member

I don't know, i thought some polishing, a little bit of play and maybe a bit of wax would do the trick, but i may be wrong, i don't know :)
    I wanted to stop the block by catching it at the sides (i wanted to run paracord through the block) in the end of the rail, just like the cord in joergs M10 shooter is stopped, don't know if that works. Also i think you should have to make the block as tiny and lightweight as possible, in order not to absorb to much energy...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  4. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I really don't thought about friction as the problem (of course waxing and everything is a good idea). I crudely try to quote Jörg "Once it has been accellerated by rubber it can only be stopped by rubber, everything else will be smashed to pieces"
    but that would only be if you are using heavy rubber, I think. As stated before, I am no expert to this.

5. dani2033

dani2033 New Member

I don't know, maybe joerg could have a look and give his opinion...

6. dani2033

dani2033 New Member

noone intrested?
    [​IMG]