The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reading up on my "Physics of rubber" by the great Dr. Treloar, I stumbled upon the most peculiar chapter "swelling effect". Seems like "Hydrocarbons" have this effect on rubber.

So I simply tried to throw some old bands in a bowl of petrol for the lawn mower... and let it sit for two days. It looked funny... but when it was dry again, I tested it and YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED.

Normally, you can stretch TBG to about 550%. But after the "swelling", I could stretch it almost to factor ten!

The first tests revealed that the speed now exceeds 600 fps, without any external heating. It is a bit funny to draw, but the result is just astounding.

Is this the discovery of the year? April 1st, 2015 may well go down in the history of The Slingshot Channel.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,882 Posts
...waiting for a video or the April Fools statement.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Nope, don't believe it! But It would be cool if it were true....

·
Mad Scientist
999 Posts
@ bigdh2000, JimRhodo, lucas414, TNSSG, Africanfarmer, Courier, JonS:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6sKAiY8xl88" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
As the forum standard: no video, no proof.

·
Im from Holland, isnt that weird?
6,001 Posts
I remember you didn't want to try this because gasoline was dangerous... *suspicious look*

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
Following this thread sceptically but with a shred of hope....600fps arrows ...oh wow !!!!
Sounds like: one shot and you gotta buy a new one. :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hi Jörg,
when I was young I did soapbox-derbys.
The wheels had metal rims with full rubber tires.
We did the same... two days in diesel after that the wheels go to a special test bench.
We had amazing results and won a lot of races.
Zwillie

1 - 20 of 24 Posts