Making a present... Advice?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by FIAAO, Oct 11, 2013.

1. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Hello my favourite-forum and all of your magnificent members!

I have been working on this slingshot for my father's birthday. Unfortunatly I have not been able to finish it yet as I only have had a few hours every second week-end to work on it... Here is were I am at the moment:

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

So far, at this state, I think it is okay. I wonder what you think I should do next? My father wants a simple slingy, and it should be able to withstan a forkhit or two. I tought maybe I should cut of a small piece from the "tail" or the forktips and laminate something there? I have acess to (something I believe is) teak, which is already on the slingshot in the form of a palm-swell, some mahogany and a piece of cherry Stej sent me during the last GST (Mk I).

I have asked my father about slingshots before, and he has told me would like a hammergrip-style with high forks, so I think this is all good. Maybe a lanyard hole? I don't want hime to lose an eye!

Of course I have a great bit of filing and sanding to do! Some bits still looks like this:

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Also, I wanted you to know I am alive and kickin'. I hope to present some more slingys soon :D

//FIIAO aka Failure aka Alfred

2. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Simple Grace!

"My father wants a simple slingy"- You´re done!!!

It will "shrink" a tiny bit when all the sanding is done..
    Then varnishing.. that´s all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe you came too "close" to it?- step back two meters!

It is just beautiful and very clear!

very well done!

Greetings to sweden!

Be

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Seems a great shooter! You can cut a tip on the bottom in obliquous (does this word exist?)direction and laminate. a hole....I don't do this frequently, but possible!
    Horrible drawing comming!

Attached Files:

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Nice work, this will make a great present!
    I'm with BV, had the same idea!

5. FIAAO

Haha, thanks Be! You are right: Stepping back two metres really did make it look better! Still, maybe that little extra something (like the "tail" in BV's great drawing :) ) would look good...

Thanks BV! I like the drawing :D

Or if I make a lanyard-hole... But if I do I think LV's great metal-tube-style would be the way to go, and I don't know if they carry that in my local hardwarestore. Could a piece of the shaft from a broken aluminium arrow work?

Edit: Thank you Will! Well, of to the workshop it is, then :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I'd say it looks pretty good in terms of shape already, though BV and Will's suggestions certainly would be a nice addition. As for the lanyard hole, I do like LV's style, I plan to try that myself. I would think any kind of aluminum tubing would work, in the end you'll only see the cross section of the shaft anyway. As long as you use a material that can be epoxy'd to the wood (which is probably just about anything with the right adhesive), I'd think you'll be fine. Your hardware shop may not have aluminum tubing, but how about copper - that may be more common. Maybe add a nice hand-tied lanyard like the slingshot you mentioned to really top it off. There are some videos on YT that show how to tie these types of lanyards with paracord.

7. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Just sand the heck out of it, lanyard hole, BVs tail thingy, and a simple oil finish no varnish...perfection.

8. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Sorry for late reply that is great :)

J

9. BeMahoney

Haha who´s laughing now? ;) I didnt know it´s a boy! "tail"...haha
    I thought it´s a natural fork!- a girl mhhh LADY!- it´s for your father..

(I better stop now, just tried to be funny.. BV´s idea and a lanyard
    will be just fine!... or maybe a WLANyard :) )

sorry for being silly!- greetings,

Be

10. BrPio

BrPio .

Very nice. With such a good start I have no doubt the end result will also be great.

11. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

I will tell you a "secret" Alfred, fathers always likes the gifts form their sons, because not for what the gifts are, instead for what the gifts means, LOVE ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

12. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

+1

That's a sweet sling. He will love it. Hopefully you get lots of chances to go and shoot together.very :cool:

13. BeMahoney

Arturo- to the point

Yep, that´s the essence to it!

thank you Arturo!

Be

14. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

Whatever you add to it, here is how you make a nice finish. Sand everything with a dremel wood sanding bit. Alternatively you can sand everything with sandpaper but that will take a lot longer. Start with 80Grit and once everything is even and the big holes are gone, you can go to 120, 240, 320, 400, 600, 1000. After that it is as smooth as bible paper. Add some linseed oil or derlike to give it the final shine.

15. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I will not suggest anything as I am positive that you will do the right thing without my kibitzing. But I t was nice of you to ask.;)

16. FIAAO

Big thanks for all the feedback, guys! :D :D A plan has taken shape in my head... I'll present the finished thing soon... :)

17. FIAAO

A little progress so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have my dremel and my arrows (including the broken one I could use for the lanyard-hole) at the dorm, and I'm out of sandpaper at the moment...

18. xXdoomXx

19. xXdoomXx

Oh

Oh that's why my mom only wore my present to her only for 2 hours:(

You just had to say that :/

J