Maker's Mark - Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Withak, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Hey folks. I've wanted to come up with some kind of maker's mark for my slingshot builds. I've been looking at some of the great designs used by people here and I've tried to use that to come up with something myself. I had thought about going the route of making a design then getting a custom wood-burner attachment with the design on it - that may still be the plan, but I came across a method of printing your design with a laser printer on regular paper then using acetone or laquer thinner to transfer the design to the wood. I tested that method this weekend. It needs some more practice, but the initial tests were very promising and allows for a very inexpensive way to transfer designs, lettering, etc. of very high quality. Of course you would need to make sure the transfer is protected with coat of poly or other sealing finish to keep it from wearing off. I like that this method can be used on uneven, rounded or even angled surfaces.

A while back I was messing around with some slingshot designs in Visio. I was trying to be 'creative' and just let the lines flow where they would. As I would draw and move the lines around, one of them I accidentally went too far and created a funky little design. It had a sense of familiarity so I added a little more and suddenly I had a design that had some essence of slingshot, but wasn't a slingshot. There is something almost human in the form when I look at it. I toyed around with adding bands, a ball of ammo and a target and you get what you see now. Later I dropped in some initials and the date just to see if that looked okay.

Design is NOT my area of expertise. I'm in very unfamiliar territory, but I'm giving it a shot.

So, what do you think? I'm not yet convinced it's the right one, but I think it's to a point where I could put it out there for you folks to give me some feedback. Do you like it? Hate it? Would you change something? If so, what? Criticism is fine as long as you're gentle. I may be a big guy, but I'm sensitive :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

The makers mark isis different than I have seen before, but i like it.

3. codido187

codido187 New Member

I like the way it looks it looks original it's yours. And I think what would be cool would be adding an ellipse for a pouch and then add double lines for the bands to make it look almost 3d with a nice round ball sitting in the pouch wrapping around the back. Just an idea I used to make flyers and stuff with indesign and photoshop and it's all about if you like the way it looks.
    When I think of the name withak for some reason I thin of a hawk lol i was thinking of making a hawk but implementing your initials i don't know I'm crazy and just floating ideas

4. codido187

codido187 New Member

ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1389887289.687434.jpg
    With e and m in the middle idk man just an idea lol

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I really like it, though if anyone else uses a target in their makers mark Antraxx may jump off a bridge ;)

It does 'flow' really nicely, having a space to add initials and date is a nice touch.

Good work! :)

6. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

really cool!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

7. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Seems a little too out there to me, looks like something you'd see in an abstract art gallery, not on a slingshot. I like it but maybe not as a makers mark

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks for everyone's opinion so far! It's funny with stuff like this how differently people can view it. It definitely is a bit abstract @Kohlqez, and not a way I would usually go, but this was more an 'accident' than true design.

And @VWScooby - that thought did cross my mind, and I don't want to tick off Antraxx, heck I might eventually get in line for one of his master creations some day, I'd hate to get bounced out of that opportunity ;)

@Codido187 - I like the hawk idea, it had crossed my mind but I hadn't messed with it yet. Your version is a nice start.

Everyone else is welcomed to weigh in, like it or not. I'm sure I'll be messing with others as time goes by.

9. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

That's why I went with a lucky penny and a signature/date. Your maker's mark is yours and yours alone. The only criticism I would offer is that your mark is pretty intricate. Unless you use some sort of decal/transfer, it's going to add a lot of time to each fork. It will also take up a fair amount of real estate on each fork.

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That thought crossed my mind as well. I'm actually practicing with a transfer method that uses an inkjet printer and acetone or laquer thinner to make the transfer. It's cheap and easy. My tests with this particular design went pretty well, even with the detail. And I'm able to scale this design down considerably. I transferred a copy to small piece of wood - the mark was less than the size of a quarter, so it could easily fit many slingshot designs.

It's an ongoing process, which is why I appreciate the feedback here.

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

For those of you who might be interested in the transfer method I'm testing for this mark - here is the video that explains it. It's a pretty cool and easy way to transfer something to your work piece.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj3X0vLWtEY&list=PLobTdwTU6Vl_xHLsSxB5-qaVosKOP6Apx&index=9"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj3X0vLWtEY&list=PLobTdwTU6Vl_xHLsSxB5-qaVosKOP6Apx&index=9[/ame]

12. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Glad to hear it. I'd go ahead with it.

As an aside, my first wife's grandfather was a master woodworker/furniture maker/cabinetmaker. He had a woodburning brand that he'd use to stamp his handiwork. Not sure where he got it, but it's another way.

Attached Files:

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I've looked in to those too. They're pretty spendy - I found some folks that will make them for $100-$200USD - but once you have them, they should last for life. I'm not done considering that route and will have to make a decision once I decide on my mark. I'd think that might be difficult to use on anything but a flat surface?

14. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I've used that method of acetone transfer to put circuit layouts on PCB's for etching. It works quite well I thought.

The mark looks good so far, my only advice is dont over think it. I'm a big fan of the Keep it simple school of thought, because if it takes too many steps to put a makers mark on it begins to feel like a chore and I'm less likley to do it.

Interested to see what you end up with.

15. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

I think studer has a point -- it may be a bit too complicated and intricate. Also---a thought to bear in mind is that it’s going to be a much smaller mark (when applied to a slingshot frame) than your prototype graphic is. Because of that, it might be good to have a mark that’ll hold it’s detail, look good and still be readily recognizable when it’s only a small fraction of the size of the prototype graphic in your post. Good luck with your design project!

16. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey Withak,

my two cents: you seem to be on the right track concerning
    the processes; hard solder should withstand the heat from the
    soldering iron, I thought about casting a mark with that..

Concerning the design (and in return the chances of making a proper
    woodburning mark) I think (as alwyas concerning design) the key is
    to keep it simple...

Thin lines are tricky, even if you use acetone and printed it on paper
    (Which we did a lot to transfer blueprints of plans to particle boards.
    That works great!- but if anything slips a bit, the lines are doubled..)

Curious about the results,
    kind regards,

Be

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks for all the great feedback folks! Point taken, this idea is probably a bit too intricate, and maybe a bit too abstract. Back to the proverbial drawing board. But then again, how often do first drafts of ideas end up being the final product. Thanks again!

18. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Hi Withak,

What a coincidence, I'm also spent some time with the idea of marking my naturals. :)

I like this inkjet-acetone idea cos it might work fine on a sculpted surface and you have the chance to make it well aligned to the desired fit. It's even scalable and that's a plus point.

I'm working on a printed metal woodburner version and will post the results next month.

About the design of the mark:
    It's really depends on your taste, but it's surely a personal thing. I looked around on both forums and found lot of interesting designs, but more of them are not logos, only linearts reflecting slingshooting, or signature like forms. Made a simple rule for myself. Make it connected with you and as others know your work and appearance in the community. Make it recognizable maybe elegant and quite small to make it look as a nice and crafty detail. Since it's a final touch of your work is should also show a quality. And for last, make it replicate-able as simple and as fast as possible without loss of readability and the already mentioned quality.

Thumbsup for this thread, great ideas all around!

Tremo

19. LW

LW New Member

I Like your Idea of a Markers Mark,

Perhaps you will allow me a few small changes. The target I would not use, I find it very good, but only if it stands alone.

This curved shape is already strong enough in its meaning, with the target it looks a bit overloaded for me.

I like the curved shape, it has something mysterious but I see a slingshot in it.
    In the end I would make the logo additional perpendicular.

It is just my opinion and probably you do not like it… :)

LOGO.jpg

20. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

i agree with LW, the target and the angle does make it look like a fish to me to be honest. it might still look like avase to someone he way LW changed it.