M10 M12 M14 ammunition

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by EyAlter, Aug 12, 2013.

1. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

Hey,
    I saw that Jörg uses M10 nuts for his repeating slingshot. But usually he uses 20mm steel balls because they are heavier. Why does he not use M12 or M14 instead? Would they be to hard to draw?

2. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Less aerodynamic not sure ask more of the older guys like brazil will and other guys they should know sorry if I'm wrong :(

J

3. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Lol not saying they r old but more experienced shall I say

J

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I haven't shot many hex nuts myself, but I believe many folks like to use m10 because they are a good compromise between weight, size and cost.

5. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i think because it was more convenient to use M10

6. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I used M10 because that's what I saw Joerg use.

7. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

So no proper justified answer yet. Maybe Jörg reads this?

8. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Steel balls are better as ammo, more aerodynamic, bette weght conventration in a smaller piece. The use of m10 nuts for the pumpgun ( I believe Jörg can answer better than me) seems to be because i is a cheap, easy to find kind of ammo, and it has the 10 grain weight, that may be apropriate for the bandset of the gun.
    As for m12 and m14, I belive that they can be used, but they will have a bigger weight, different air resistance, and it may call for a stronger band set. When it comes to heavier ammo, aerodynamics and less weight become important on thye efficience of the projectile.

9. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Hex nuts seem to transfer energy better due to their odd shape but steel balls seem to penetrate better. In my experiments on 1/4" laminate faced plywood over my July 4th vacation, 1/2" steel penetrated the plywood with a neat hole and no spalling/backface deformation. The M10 hex nut made a bigger, irregular dent on the front (laminated side) than the marbles and made some nasty backface deformation (the marbles dented the laminate and made no deformation on the back). Many of the hunters on the SSF and Rebel Slingshot Forum recommend hex nuts for live game and say they hit harder than an equivalent ball. The 1/2" steel just dented my 3/4" ash boardcut with fork hits. M10 hex nuts cracked it all the way through.

I still don't have a good reason for M10 over other sizes. If a fork/bandset will fire an equivalent weight of steel or lead, it should do fine for a given size hex nut. Hex nuts are a lot more prone, in my experience, to fork hits. Round balls tend to ricochet more than hex nuts, glass, or especially lead.