LP gas (Propane) torch forge.

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by buckshot500, Jan 12, 2014.

1. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I saw this vid on youtube a while back, and built myself one today.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBVa2bw3r_k[/ame]

Mine is a little bigger, about the size of a large juice can.

I'll get some pics up in a day or two. Tonight i heated an old railroad spike up until it was glowing. A friend of mine has a few of these spikes to give me. In exchange he gets the first bowie knife i can make that's good enough for my liking.

I have a short section of rail to use as an anvil, and a 250lb pickup magnet to stick on the side to keep the anvil from ringing too loudly.

I still need to get a belt sander, and inquired about one at my local roadside tool store. he said he sold the one i saw to a guy a few days ago. He will try to get one for me to buy in a week or two.

i'm kind of excited, since I am finally getting to begin knifemaking after so many years that i've wanted to try it.

There is something about a rail spike knife that calls to me, with it's twisted handle and nailhead pommel. I've seen quite a few vids on making them, and I'm ready to try one.

2. buckshot500

Here's some pics.

Attached Files:

3. dangster

dangster New Member

check out backyardmetalcasting.com
    great website with loads of good info

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing your projects.

5. buckshot500

Thanks for that link dangster!

I'm planning on doing some aluminum casting soon. I want to make a Rambone slingshot and also want to pour a fire ant mound sculpture.

This soup can forge is mostly for spike knives and small tools.

If I can locate a supply of coal and/or coke, I plan on building a brake drum forge and maybe a toolbox forge for making swords.

6. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

That looks really cool buckshot!
    I was gonna make a forge out of some LPG gas bottles I had laying around, but after pricing up all the materials I needed plus shipping ( as no hardware stores here have what I need) it worked out cheaper if I bought an electric forge off of ebay!

Ended up with a couple of nice charcoal cookers though

Cant wait to see the end results man!

7. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

8. buckshot500

Thanks, I saved those links to watch after work tonight.

9. CEZ

CEZ New Member

What kind of temperature can you get out of that thing?

10. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

nice forge!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

11. buckshot500

Not sure what temperature, but it got the rail spike glowing from the point, to about 3/4 of the way towards the head in about 10 minutes. This torch is a turbo torch designed to melt silver solder for refrigeration copper tubing.

I plan on trying this coming weekend to actually start forging that spike into a knife. This forge was mostly a test to see how well it works for small stuff. If it works, I might try a bigger one with a bigger torch.

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

I'm also hoping to make a coal fired brake drum forge pretty soon.

12. buckshot500

counting down the days this week. hoping for at least one day of good weather this weekend. I'ma get out the forge and anvil. First I have to fit the big magnet into the web of the railroad track anvil a little better so it deadens the sound of ringing. Then I will attempt to pound it out into a Bowie knife with twisted handle.

If I can get it straight enough, I can justify getting a belt sander/grinding wheel machine. and maybe an electric bandfile as well.

13. Warsong

Warsong New Member

yea. I tried this video with a little adaptation. a coffee can instead of a soup can, and i used a little less on the sides and more in the front. Needless to say it didnt really work, since I now burn wood in it instead of propane. But good job getting yours to work! good flame circulation on yours as well!

14. buckshot500

circulation is provided by angling the nipple so that it provides a tornado of flame, To do this, you thread the pipe through so it blows around the inside of the furnace while gradually working the flame up to the opening.

If you could get that wood gas along with compressed air to go through that nipple, you might have something.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  15. smallbore

smallbore New Member

Hi did you get any cracking and approx how long have you used it for?
    Would you reccomend this to beginners?

16. buckshot500

I did not get any cracking but I haven't had the chance to fire it since it's maiden burn. The sand and plaster are cheap enough to rebuild it if needed or maybe re-line the can if it breaks.

You have to work fast when mixing the plaster. I mix mine with the sand first then add water and mix that. it starts to set up really quick so just shove it in the can and start packing it around the sides with your hand. be careful of sharp edges in the can though.

Be careful not to burn yourself, use leather gloves and pliers or tongs to handle the hot metal.

I would say this is probably great for beginners since the materials are inexpensive.

It's not for large objects and mine is barely big enough to put a rail spike into it.

Also watch some youtube videos on blacksmithing and knifemaking to school yourself as best you can before getting started.

17. buckshot500

Well I logged off after the last post, grabbed the forge and made my first knife.

The forge worked well and got the rail spike hot enough to glow. I gently clearance'd the bore of the furnace with a spike head, so i could heat the handle of the knife for twisting.

It seems to heat mostly near the torch nozzle inside the forge. I didn't have patience today to see if it would heat more than half a spike at a time.

Here's a link to that thread.
    https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f29/snow-day-off-work-spikeknife-32762-new

18. smallbore

smallbore New Member

Congrats on making your first knife - must feel very satisfying; please continue to post what you learn as it looks like a great project.