Lowes or Home Depot

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by tivo532, Dec 11, 2013.

1. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

It's hard to find Baltic Birch in our area. Do you have any recommendation for alternative Multiplex that are available from Lowes or Home Depot?
    :)

2. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Thanks! Do they come in sizes like 1x2x8 or 1x2x10 similar to the one below?
    [​IMG]

3. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Idk I think they sell them in planks

4. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

OK! I'll check them out. Cheers!

5. Triphammer

Triphammer New Member

Look in the "Project" section of either Lowes or Home Depot. You'll find smaller sheets of Hardwood plywood. Cabinet grades of birch or oak plywood. sometimes they'll even have the higher grades with the finer laminations that you are looking for. Standard 5 or 7 ply cabinet grade birch plywood is stronger than most humans will ever need for a slingshot.

As far as "board" you can find maple and red oak in 1" x 2", 1" x 4" etc up to 1 x 8 and larger in most stores. Home Depot cuts to length, Lowes has precut length fro 3 ft. to 10.

6. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

7. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

8. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

If you're looking for very high-end laminates and multiplex, you may want to contact a local custom furniture builder/designer. I do know of one in the Bay area- Sebastian Parker Furniture. I've seen their work (and bid against them on occasion) so I know they'd have what you're looking for- and with enough beer might just give you some of their scraps.

-Wild Bill

9. Can-Opener

Can-Opener New Member

Michales craft stores sell good quality baltic birch ply in small sizes. Probably one near you if you have the other two choices. :)

10. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

11. Triphammer

Triphammer New Member

These are flooring samples. May or may not be real wood. Pressboard or laminate base with a thin top "show" layer. Not something to build with.

12. CaptainBacon

CaptainBacon Knowledgeable Man

Go to a craft store. Michaels has birch plywood for model building. It's as good as the finer stuff I find at woodcraft.

13. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Can-Opener and Captain Bacon, thanks for the info. I'll visit Michael Crafts this weekend.

14. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I haven't found any birch ply at Michael's...
    As far as flooring samples go....
    Lowe's, between ¢15 - ¢50 each, most are veneers except bamboo and Bruce® flooring samples, they're generally too small to make a whole slingshot, but there great for accents and palmswells
    Home Depot, they cost ¢1-¢2 each, (they are advertised as "free" but that's only if you return them)
    Unfortunately home depot has only veneers, and some solid bamboo. At least the one I have nearby

15. SimpleShot

SimpleShot Everything Slingshots!

www.woodcraft.com often has very good quality baltic birch ply in various thicknesses and they have retail stores around the USA.

16. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Found one in Dublin which is ~23 miles from home. Thanks!

17. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

The sample I got from Lowes is 3/4" x 4" x 4 3/4". The template for Scarface Tom Ergo(small version) can be used on this one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still unfinished. Planning to add a palm swell.

18. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I think if you ask an employee in the lumber department at Home Depot they can get you a 5'×5' sheet of 3/4" 13 ply Baltic Birch. Don't ask for multiplex and they likely won't even know about Baltic Birch either. Ask them to contact their supplier. They just don't normally stock it... They quoted me $45.88 for the sheet and would have it available for pickup within 4-5 days. Although I guess it all may be different per region.