looking for some really strong pouches

Discussion in 'Trader's corner' started by artons, Aug 27, 2013.

1. artons

artons New Member

Hi folks, i need your help, i'm looking for some really strong pouches, strong enough for a triple TBG bandset. Is there anyone in europe who could send me some of those pouches? The best would be kangaroo leather, if you have disponibility, please send me a private message!

2. Baller-Bub

Baller-Bub New Member

I dont think leather would make the strongest pouches.
    Go to a hardware store, ang get one of those cheap ratchet belts.
    Cut it with a soldering iron or a hot blade to make sure the fibre ends melt together.
    You will get ratchet belts in every width and strength, and you will get quite a lot pouches from each.
    greetz, Kai

3. artons

artons New Member

Thanks for the advice, but there's a reason why the leather is used and i haven't seen any pouch like this, the melted plastic could waste your bands in just few shots, the leather, contrarily, won't rip apart your bands. That's why i'll only use leather

4. Baller-Bub

Baller-Bub New Member

It was just an idea...
    I´m new into Slingshot stuff
    I got myself ready to use pouches from a german onlineshop.
    Will have to try around with that.
    The strongest available there are 2mm cow leather.
    You may google "Kugel-Winnie" to find that shop.
    Greetz

P.S.: He also offers kangaroo leather pouches...

5. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

With really heavy draws you might want to try laminates of kangaroo leather. Someone kindly sent me a piece and I made a pouch for a heavy bandset (either TTB or TTS I can't remember) and it tore after about 20 shots. So I am going to laminate some...either back to back or with an inner of maybe silk.

But also I've been getting good performance from some good quality supple cowhide from our local cobbler. It is a bit heavy but I have lightened it by punching lots of holes in it...sort of like 'airtex'. This seems to work very well.

6. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

I would try to look for an old leather belt to cut pouches.

7. Haecksler

Haecksler Naturalist

I have my pouches from an acquaintance saddler. When I was there last time, i asked for leftover pieces and he told me to collect pieces of very good leather from the floor. I cut them with my rollercutter and stamp the fixing holes with an old carbine cartridge case. The holes for the ball i stamp with normal punch pliers, the diameter with 60% to that of the ball.
    This leather is extremely tearproof, evenly and smooth. Oh, and it looks very nice :)
    My shooting-colleague has also used them for a 19mm-steel setup - without problems or elongation of the eyelets.
    I've also done my neckknife sheath with it - That leather can outstandingly be formed in hot water!
    I took a picture for you: (sorry that you can't recognize the two smaller side holes along the big in the middle at the 12mm setup)
    [​IMG]

Maybe I can send you a few in a envelope, it won't be sooo expensive to France.

Greetings, Haecksler!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  8. artons

artons New Member

Thank you haecksler, but i'm trading with kineticweaponry, who will send me some laminate roo leather. If i'll need other leather i'll ask your help :)

9. CEZ

CEZ New Member

I don't think that would suffice if you want to shoot really heavy bands and have the strength for it. Old belts aren't made from specially selected leather valued for their tensile strength, just nice looking leather. Kangaroo leather actually has the strongest tensile strength of all leather types and hasn't failed me yet so I can recommend it from my experience.

10. BrooksPotts

BrooksPotts Brooksiepooh

Wish carbon nano tube technology was a little further ahead in mass production because that would be gold to the slingshot world

11. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Chuck Norris is the only one who pulls out three layers of full-size TBG.
    And he would take a bear as a pouch. A living one.

When finished he doesn´t suck honey, he is chewing bees instead.
    I don´t know when he is finished: He needs no clock, he is telling the time :cool:

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I'm with Ruthie on this one, laminated leather is the way to go. I haven't laminated any myself, but I've got some pouches I purchased here in the states - all are laminated, and I have a laminated roo pouch as well. I don't see signs on any of these wearing out yet, but I have yet to try them on a set of triple TBG :)

13. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Rayshot supersure like E said.

14. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hi artons!

Kineticweaponry is just fine!- and I don´t need to offer you to send a
    leather-letter.. (which I would have done after reading this thread :) )
    .. for I bought a whole roo-leather some days ago.. (and at this point I
    believe I wont need some 250 pouches..) but if all else fails..

Greetings,

Be

15. artons

artons New Member

Thank you Be, i'll keep it my mind :)