Looking for Aluminum.

Discussion in 'Trader's corner' started by Bali-Flipper32, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Bali-Flipper32

Bali-Flipper32 New Member

Hey everybody. I am looking for a 6 inch by 6 inch (152 by152 mm) sheet of aluminum. I would like it to be around 1/4 inches (6.35 mm). I am wanting to trade. I have access to dogwood and I have a bit of micarta as well. I am also willing to make a micarta slingshot similar to the one in the picture.
    The slingshot wasn't finished. It will be polished when finished.
    [​IMG]

2. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Where in the world are you located?

3. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

try your local recyc center.

4. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

If you know of a local welding shop, they might have what you need or can point you to a nearby source.

5. Bali-Flipper32

I am in illinois, usa. Ive looked around my area and its the aluminum ive seen is too thin to do me any good

6. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Look around scrap yards, u can get free aluminum there

7. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

I tried all the scrappers and recycling operations in my area and had no luck. They’re all “one way” operations--they buy and take in, but they don’t sell. What comes to them goes to processing operations to be smelted and recycled into “new” stuff.

I ended up with Metal Supermarket. They have a store near me, their prices aren’t bad, they’ve got a big inventory of different AL alloy sheets, thicknesses and sizes and they’ll cut the little (12”x12”, 6”x6”, etc) pieces that I want without special charges or penalty to me. Check out -- http://www.metalsupermarkets.com

They have five or six stores in the NE-most corner of Illinois in the ‘burbs around Chicago. If you’re near there, you may be in luck.

8. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Lacumo,

How much for the 1/4" x 6" x 6" ?
    Found one in eBay for $11.50. Cheers!

9. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

Are you willing to come to South Bend or Valpo area? I have some amazing 6051 heat treated and stretched stuff you would love. It's 6 in wide and 6 or 7 foot long. I made a mount for my trolling motor out of it, I would be interested in a trade.
    [​IMG]

10. Bali-Flipper32

GunGuy- thats about 5 and a half hours from me. Thats too bad because you have what I'm looking for.

11. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

"I would be interested in a trade."

How thick is that and what would you need for a 6"X6" piece?
    "If it fits, it ships."

12. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

If you do come my way let me know I get this kind of stuff all the time. We picked this stuff up to make some wheelie bars for a VW drag car. Check with your local metal supply house sometimes they have cut offs you can get cheap these things come in 21 foot pieces.

13. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

1/4" what do you have to trade? I have 8 grand kids and I plan on making all of them something special in a slingshot kinda way.

14. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Can I get in on that action too? I've got a few little forks that would be great for BB shooters or I could just make some boardcut BB shooters for you. Or I could make you pouches or send you leather.
    I'm just assuming you would want BB shooters for the grandkids, but if you want something with more power I can do that too

15. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

Give me a few days to dig out the snow to get to the garage and I will see what I have left and I am sure we can work something out.

16. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

Just mail it in one of those "if it fits it ships" boxes at the post office. Get by for $15.00 or less.

17. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Tivo---I bought a 12”x12”x1/4” piece and a 12”x12”x1/2” piece for $40, so I’d guess that one 6”x6”x1/4” piece represented about $3.50 out of that total. I believe the 12”x2”x1/4” piece was about $14 out of the total.

18. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

6061-T6511 EXTRUDED ALUMINUM RECTANGLES is what I like to use on most of my projects since it is already cut to a uniformed width and it is more ridged than sheet. It does cost more than sheet, I think we pay around $10 per foot for the 6" wide stuff, but it is much easier to work with when you are trying to fab junk up.

19. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

Well I dug my way out to the garage today, mainly because I needed a battery charger since its -3 out. But I looked long and hard and could only find 1/4" X 3", I don't know if that would help? One of the guys from the pit crew must have used it or put it in the hauler.