The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently debating between the Ultima polymer starter set and the Scout starter set from Flippinout slingshots.

I would appreciate any input y'all may have.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Dear (ex-) Jeremy

i´m sorry, but you´re slingstruck!
You´re still in what is named incubation period!

So this is my advise by waiting another max. 48 hours,
you make sure that the then no longer suppressable
urge to start building slingshots will have taken control.

And guess what: It will feel all normal for you!

-Problem solved-

You will need sanding paper..

·
3,951 Posts
Hi Jeremy,
You can' t go wrong with Simple-shot products.
Ultima polymer or Scout? Well it depend on your shooting style. For hammergrip i'd choose the Scout. For finger support style, the Ultima will be a good choice because it looks more pocketable.
Anyway, if i had to choose i' d pick the scout because the two shooting styles are possible with it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm with tokSick -- I'd go with the Scout. I think it's the more adaptable/versatile and the handle on it looks more "ergo" and comfortable to hold.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pick both!!! You earn money to be happy!!! Allow yourself a little gift!
I would love both, only problem is I am currently unemployed. I am starting to look and research now for when I get back to work. When that happens I can get myself a little gift.

·
MILF of the board
2,035 Posts
I already added the scout to my wishlist. My birthday is coming up so…. :D

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think based on the feedback so far I'm leaning towards the Scout as well. I may have to get the Ultima down the road, as well as a few tools to start making my own.

·
Banned
3,613 Posts
Pick both!!! You earn money to be happy!!! Allow yourself a little gift!
Doctor's orders, you gotta get 'em both when you can;). Building your own is more satisfying than buying. The first I bought was an a+ which I now rate as a c at best, it doesn't even have bands on it anymore. It won't see use anymore as I feel my creations are made better and are obviously custom fitted. The scout looks like a great place to start, Nathan's products seem built to standards of usability as well as looks.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have two Trumark wrist-rockets that I got when I was younger. I also picked up a Chief AJ HFX that is quit fun to use. I want to pick up a good flat-band slingshot as well. Before I start building my own I think I need to pick up some tools, my set is fairly limited at the moment.

·
Banned
3,613 Posts
all you need is a coping saw and sandpaper, all the other tools are mainly for convenience;). The best tool is parked between your ears, creativity will get you far.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
all you need is a coping saw and sandpaper, all the other tools are mainly for convenience;). The best tool is parked between your ears, creativity will get you far.
What wood do you suggest for a beginner?

·
Registered
400 Posts
...only problem is I am currently unemployed.
OK -- You're clearly in need of a good rationalization! Here's a great one: the expenses with slingshots are a small fraction of the comparable expenses in archery. In archery, start-up can run $500-$1K but with slingshots, start-up costs will be way under $100. And that doesn't even look at the cost of competitive shotgunning, where the only real question is how many thou you want to sink into it...

If you really need to keep it bargain-basement, you can cut a natural fork and microwave speed-dry it (do a little research on that first) and your only expenses will be band sets and ammo, so startup cost should be under $20. That's pretty tough to beat.

Edit: On the woods -- most fruit woods, nut woods or hardwoods are good -- apple, cherry, walnut, oak, ash, maple are all fine. Just stay away from the softwoods (pine, fir, etc).

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you Lacumo. I think I will be on the lookout for some natural forks to start with. I guess I need to head out into the woods. I'm sure I can get bands and ammo from Flippingout.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts