Look what I did today

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by AngelicScars, Dec 12, 2013.

1. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

I finally got to shoot the slingshot! Now, this is the first time I have ever used one. I had 10 shots and hit nothing. My aim was terrible. I corrected it and hit dead center on the middle target on the second shot. My form might not be stellar, I don't know, but I had fun. I wish I had more then the 10 minutes I had.

Note: My friend told me it looked like I was really close to the catch box, and it does look like I'm closer then I really was in the pic. Also, that is my phone in my back pocket.
    [​IMG]

And I look a bit like a dork here, but there you go.
    [​IMG]

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I disagree. You do not look like a dork. You look like a new advertisement for a slingshot commercial. I can see the slogan now... "You wanna be awesome? Shoot this slingshot!"

-Wild Bill

3. slingashot

slingashot Over 50's Member

Looking good Angelic !! What are you aiming at in the second pic cos your catchbox is behind you !! Hope it's not the neighbours cat - naughty, naughty, LOL !!

4. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Try to have your back straight when shooting, i think thats better for aim. But everyone s different so whatever works for you :)

5. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Nice!!! Relax your left shoulder, let it go lower, a litlle bend on the left elbow is good to. Try po change te hand that holds the sling, just to be sure of how confortable you are. Try pinch grip, fingerthumb grip, let go about 10 shots on each way, try to feell it. Remember, instincyive aim. It is not just putting target between the forks. pull the pouch, twist it 90 degrees and make a 5 degree inclination down. No fork hits will happen........ok too much things for the first time! sorry!

6. AngelicScars

Thanks for the tips! BTW, the one that was taken of me shooting the target, was before I fixed my aim.
    As far as the "shooting" away from the target pic, that was just hubby asking to take a pic of me that didn't involve facing away from the camera. I had no ammo in the pouch.
    To be honest, if there was a cat in the yard they would have been in trouble. I'm not a fan of cats, much less roaming ones in my fenced in yard.
    :)

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Glad you finally got a chance to do some shooting - it's the best way to ensure a full and complete infection! Looking at your stance, the one thing that stands out to me is something I see in newer folks shooting guns for the first time. It looks in the photo like you're leaning back a bit, with your weight on the foot farthest from the target. When I shoot, I've always been taught to keep my weight a bit more forward, toward the target, with maybe 60% of my weight on the front foot, 40% on the back. Leaning back puts you more off balance. When shooting guns, it helps keep you on target when dealing with the recoil of the gun. But I also find it's a more stable stance for shooting airguns, slingshots, etc. Maybe give it a try and see if it works for you. BV and John have some great tips as well.

8. AngelicScars

You know what, you guys just reminded me. Yes, yes I'm leaning back more and my back isn't straight. It's because my yard isn't level and the target is at the lower part of our yard and I'm higher up. I'm probably leaning back because of the angle. If the target was higher and I was lower, I'd likely lean forward more.
    How would I adjust my stance on uneven ground and keep my balance?

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

If I understand your setup, to me, leaning back would be the opposite of what I would do, as leaning back would tend to pull your aim a bit higher, not lower. I would still be putting my weight a bit forward and possibly bending my front leg at the knee, just a bit, to lower my aim point to the target. I suspect a seasoned hunter that is used to shooting a target down in a valley could give some added insight here. I tend to consider my stance, no matter what surface I'm on, to be a bit more 'aggressive' if that's the right word - in other words, I am tending to push myself toward the target, not back away. It's subtle, but I do think it helps to keep your center of balance shifted to the front, just a bit.

10. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

The trick is when learning is not to change too many things at once. Some great advice but it is very easy to get lost. Consistanacy is the key so concentrate on where your feet are first. Once you do it without thinking, move onto your lead arm. Once that is second nature.....well....you get the idea.

It takes longer but in the long run it turns an explicit action (one you have to consciously think about) into an implicit action (like breathing) which is how the people who are very good (not me by the way!) make it look so easy.

Bit like driving really, its a very complicated action especially if you drive a manual. When you first start about 80% of your thought processes is on the physical process of using the controls. Once that becomes autonomous only about 15% is, making everything seem easier. Same with shooting or anything really. :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  11. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Form comes with practice. Glad that you had a chance to get on the range.

12. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

Hi Angelic, looks good, just shoot, your body will teach the way, just hear it and open your mind and don't "think" lol !, practice, practice .... lots of practice ...
    Cheers

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

The master has spoken. Nothing more need be said ;)

14. AngelicScars

When I'm going downhill, I lean back a little to brace myself. I think it works the same way. I will definitely focus on my stance and posture more and let you know how it goes. :D

15. AngelicScars

Alrighty, so I took everyone's advice and just kept f*cking up. Yes I went there, it was THAT bad. When I stopped over-thinking it and did what was comfortable, I shot much better. I wish I had someone in person to help though!
    Ignoring the crappy drawing, this is what I did today when I did what was comfortable.
    [​IMG]

16. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Looks good. I'm glad you were finally able to shoot. I'm looking forward to shooting my scout now that I am going home after being on the road for two weeks. At least I had my bb shooter.

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very nice shooting.

18. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

That is very good ! now that guy is blind :D
    Cheers

19. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Cool. I never understood anyone's advice either, I just grip it and rip it.

20. slingashot

slingashot Over 50's Member

Way to go Angelic !! If you can shoot like that you can't be doing much wrong. There is no right or wrong way. As long as you can hit what you are aiming at, that's all that counts. Have you tried shooting sidestyle, might help you aim a little better and take his pupils out !! If not, it will make you look badass anyway !!