longest lasting slingshot bands/tubes

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by thomasmaca45, Aug 27, 2013.

1. thomasmaca45

thomasmaca45 Member

hello,
    my main slingshot has 2cm theraband gold double per side. i like this bandset but it doesnt last a very long time. is there a band or tube that is powerful but lasts a long time.
    also just for interest sake what bands do you use and how many shots can you get with them?

thanks for your time.

2. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

I used a lot of elastics. I can share the experience with everybody else when I say that tubes last longer than bands.
    Certainly it depends how far you stretch the bands/tubes.
    How long do you cut your bands?
    How long is your draw length?
    To answer you question; my bands last between 500-1000 shot.

3. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Maybe you tied them wrong? Too much prestretch shortens band life also. Or maybe your slingshot isn't well polished? Do they break at the pouch?
    Generally tubes last a little longer but if you half-loop them (that's like tapering bands) they last half the time of straight tubes.
    I almost never use straight bands, alway tapered. I'm just used to the idea that the will break faster so I cut them longer than I actually need and leave the excess at the slingshot side so that when they break at the pouch I cut off a bit to make them even and re-tie so that they are again the length I need. Hope that makes sense?

4. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Yes, I would expect quite a lot of shots from the double TBG and wonder if it is related to how the bands are cut or how they are tied.

For longevity the best option is probably one of the heavier Theratubes. I've rarely had the black snap on me and never the silver !

5. thomasmaca45

thomasmaca45 Member

i cut the 25 cm and strech to 80 cm. I dont prestrech, they break at the pouch. i shoot rocks and 12mm steel.

thanks for the replys

6. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

25cm length for a 80 cm draw is on the long side and should last close to 1000 shots.
    I assume you do not taper them.
    The tie at the pouch does not have to be pulled to the max.
    Some shooter use a soft cotton string and make a constrictor knot.
    Others use a thinner elastic as the one they shoot with to make the tie at the pouch.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  7. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Well if it doesn't break at the pouch then the tie is ok, I guess it might be the sharp rocks or abrasion from the catapult forks?