Lol. Portable closet catch box!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by pelleteer, Nov 14, 2013.

1. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

I just got one of these from ebay for $18.95 shipped: http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_49504/Starcrest-Portable-Closet-36-Inch-Clothes-Organizer.html (same company, just via their ebay store). I put it together and hung an old sheet inside from the center rod. Works quite well, and it's huge!:D I got a few bounce outs with the flap open all the way, so I think I'll just unzip the front halfway down and then cut the top half of the flap off. I'm also going to hold the top part of the hanging sheet back by running a piece of string through the unit from side to side a few inches behind and below the center rod. The frame is all plastic (fairly thick black plastic rods) and the cover is a thin, breathable material, but it looks like it'll hold up for a while at least. Plus it's cheap enough to replace in a year if needed.

Anyhoo, just thought some of you other guys and gals might like to give one a shot. :cool:

2. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

It occurs to me that, since our velocities are not supersonic (or even close), our catchboxes can be truly portable. There exist collapsible containers; simply rig one up such that a canvas sheet automatically deploys within to slow down the projectiles, and an extra piece of plastic goes across the bottom of the opening to keep them from rolling out.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Pics before and after please.

4. CEZ

CEZ New Member

thats genius!

5. pelleteer

I'll snap a few pics this week. :cool: I can't stress how huge this thing is. If you're not very accurate yet, this would be the perfect catch box. :D It's way bigger than I expected it to be (not a bad thing, just surprising). :cool:

6. pelleteer

Update: Sorry about the lack of pics, J. Super busy this week. I have the pics on my phone, but I went to transfer them to my pc, and I couldn't find my Micro SD adapter.:mad: I have one on the way from ebay. Delivery time is between Tues. of this coming week and Mon. of the next. :rolleyes: Be patient. :eek:

I made the mod to the flap, and it works a lot better. I also decided to just safety pin the sheet to the back rather than using a string. Works fine. You can shoot into it without the sheet, but the material is thin and porous enough that I'm afraid it might wear out fairly fast, and I definitely wouldn't shoot anything with sharp edges (like Joerg's cube ammo), so I prefer to use the sheet. :cool:

7. pelleteer

Okay. Finally! Sorry for the long wait. :eek:

As it was when first assembled, with a Dankung (Western Ergo) and a baseball cap for scale:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A pic after flap mod, ready to shoot (the can isn't magically levitating, it's hanging by a string safety pinned to the sheet, you just can't see it in the pic :D):
    [​IMG]

A close-up of the center rod, from which the sheet/towel, etc. can be hung:
    [​IMG]

A side view to show depth:
    [​IMG]

Love this thing. Works great. The ammo hits the sheet and drops down into the bottom for easy collection. For $19, you can't go wrong. :cool:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  8. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very cool. Not a bad idea for a portable catch box. I may have to look into this when I need to replace the catch box I am currently working on.

9. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Price is right, might be handy to have one of those stashed in the trunk when your out and about!