Life of properly stored rubber

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Mixerman, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Mixerman

Mixerman New Member

I keep seeing posts mentioning that rubber won't last more than a couple years and I'm wondering where the science lies behind these claims. Does anyone have any solid information to back up these claims? If stored airtight, in the dark, proper temperature/humidity, why can't we expect our rubber, especially tubing, to last 20+ years?

2. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Because decay is a principle of nature?

3. Mixerman

Mixerman New Member

Decay is inevitable, how far can we stretch it? , no pun intended :)

4. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

After all one could store a BigMac cheeseburger with fries under those conditions for 20plus years AND IT WOULD BE COMPLETELY UNCHANGED!

5. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

ah..I see the flaw in my comparison....Latex is a NATURAL substance !! silly me :)

6. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I have rubber that I bought five years ago, and it still is as good as it was when it was new. It was kept in the cardboard box it was delievered in. Thera products, of course.

Why will it deteriorate? Because pretty much everything does, sooner or later.

7. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

The problem is to find the right way of storage, so it stays "clean" for long time, no light, no humidity, etc

8. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

This is a great question. More experiments with this would pay off perhaps.

9. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

From a post-apocalyptic standpoint, whether it's 2 or 5 or 8 years the rubber WILL deteriorate. Because a) rubber does break down over time, and b) 'ideal' storage conditions will be difficult or impossible to achieve.

So your post-apocalyptic planning needs to account for the day that your last strip of Theraband finally snaps.

For the rest of us, it's doubtful the world will collapse into anarchy in our time. The Internets will continue to yield Theraband for our enjoyment. :)