LED 'Tracer' Ammunition for Mr. Sprave

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by LEDPunisher, May 3, 2013.

1. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

I've come up with an ammunition that I'd like to make for Mr. Sprave. Noticing that much of the ammunition he uses has one dimension near 20mm (bearings, fletching on crossbow bolts, etc.,) and knowing that typical LED star boards are commonly found in 20mm diameters, I could build him some 'tracer' ammunition for him to try out, if he's interested, as a way of saying 'Thank you for the laughs and entertainment you've brought to me.' I'm fairly sure these could easily fit in some of his already-existing super slingshots!

I've got several spare boards and LEDs. I would need to find some micro-cell batteries and very tiny switches, that shouldn't be too difficult.

What I've come to ask you is should I just leave it wide open, or should I put these in some sort of casing? I like seeing LEDs get pushed to the limit, especially in equipment of my own designs, but at the same time I'd certainly like these to be reusable and provide him with as much entertainment as he's provided for me.

I already know that the weight distribution isn't going to be very uniform either way, and I'm not entirely sure how I'd encase the entire circuit, let alone what material I would use (poured acrylic?)

Leaving it bare would make it perhaps a bit more effective as ammunition (assuming it wouldn't start tumbling) due to the thinner edge.

On the other hand, encasing it would give better ballistic qualities.

Thoughts?

2. eulengesicht

eulengesicht New Member

Sounds niice !! Would put the electronic in acryllic balls. And maybe you have got some nice led decoration for 1 of his slingshots ;-)

3. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

i have some of such acryllic balls. they were in fitness tubes on both ends to hold the handles. i thought about drilling the holes a bit bigger to put fishing lights (kink glowing sticks) in it.

4. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

I am sure I could make some sort of light for perhaps night usage. I thought of acrylic balls but I don't think I could do that, I don't really have much molding experience, and I'd also like to be able to make these able to be turned on and off! I was thinking of keeping to the disc format, as I'm sure I could mold that a bit easier and leave the switch accessible.

Personal wet dream - To see a bunch of these tracer rounds get launched out of either the Full-Auto Slingshot Minigun, or the Gatling Slingshot Crossbow. That seems like the two most likely slingshots for this projectile idea.

5. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

That would work reasonably well plus make it easier to swap out the sticks once they've finished with the chemical reaction that makes them glow.

But I want a BRIGHT tracer for Jorge, as bright as he's made my world with his videos!

6. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

you could encase the whole circuit with batteries in epoxy with stripped wires wrapped around it. make it wet to switch the light on.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  7. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

Sounds like fun, but would the projectile stay lit? I'd think that being launched from any good slingshot would whip the water right off, if not the air flowing around it.

8. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

cool idea, if you would just leave two wires out and reconnect them for shooting you have a very simple but effective switch

9. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

Indeed I could. I thought about that, it could be very simple and would probably stand up to impacts a bit better than a physical switch. At least if the connection broke, you could likely just twist the wires back together again. I'm doing either that idea, or I'm going to find a way to recess the switch inside, since I've decided to encapsulate these.

Ideally I'd like them to stay lit after firing/impact, so they can be recovered and reused! It'd be a shame to launch these a great distance only to have them go dark when they hit the ground, to be forever lost!

10. Ak_KiDD

Ak_KiDD New Member

you can already get some good crossbow bolt nocks that glow,...another idea i used once was get some phosphorescent powder ( got it of ebay)and mix into a pot of melted clear acrylic and make a mold out of steal like you would for lead sinkers.i made some of these for night fishing as i could clamp them to the line itself. if you get the good stuff it lasted about 6 hrs with a good lighting, or just carry a portable blacklight to super charge it.

11. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

doesn't help you much LEDPunisher, but another idea for those shooting piercing ammo:

[​IMG]

12. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

I could do that. I build all sorts of LED stuff so just molding some ammunition and providing a UV light wouldn't be an issue.

Are there any compositions that would produce an extremely bright light? I want these to really light up wherever they go!

13. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

Now piercing tracer ammo is an idea. Making a mold would be easy since I have several bolts that I could use. Mix the phosphor compound Kidd mentioned with some acrylic, and roll them out, without tips. Let the end user make their own tips (I'd love to see a razor-edged tip attached!)

14. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

Still working on getting a usable design. Sorry it's taken so long!

So far, I've settled upon a dual-sided LED construction for maximum lighting. The central core will consist of a CR2032 (which is again 20mm diameter) and two SinkPad 20mm star LED boards. Now it is just a matter of getting the wiring and electrical isolation done, and then encasing the whole thing.

15. sureshot_slingshot

sureshot_slingshot Sureshot

very cool ideas. would really like to see this happen in one of Jorge's Videos :)