Leather Source?

Discussion in 'Trader's corner' started by RBurke83, May 18, 2013.

1. RBurke83

RBurke83 New Member

Hey guys, where do you get your leather for ammo pouches? There are no local sources for me...

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

My favorite source is a cheap pair of all-leather work gloves from a hardware store. I open them up along the side seams, lay them out and cut. You can get several good pouches that way. Or old boots, old belts, things like that. I would think that a heavy canvas material would work if you couldn't find leather.

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

have you asked the shoe repair store?

4. jt-1911

jt-1911 Senior Member ProPlatinum

I use thin belts, if you live in Germany I can sell you some :)

5. RBurke83

RBurke83 New Member

Thanks for the responses guys, Will's post about work gloves triggered an "Oh Yea!" in my head...I went to Harbor Freight and found a leather welder's apron on sale for ten dollars. So now I should be good on leather for a while!

6. BrPio

BrPio .

When not working with metal, I'm working with leather (armor, sheaths, holsters, tac and saddle). My main supplier is "Tandy Leather". They got a website and in the US stores everywhere. Another is, "Hobby Lobby", you can get cheap one pound bags of scrap.

7. CarlosR

CarlosR Junior Member

Harbor Freight also has Carpet Cutter blades ($2 for 2) which interestingly enough are the same size(45mm) used in a Fiskars rotary cutter ($5 for ONE blade!) Don't forget to also keep an eye out for roadside, abandoned sofas. I found a LEATHER one and couldn't believe my good fortune. The leather was kinda thin, but I glued a folded sheet and pressed it together in a vise. I've test fired a few glued-together pouches...so far they're holding.

8. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

"Don't forget to also keep an eye out for roadside, abandoned sofas. I found a LEATHER one and couldn't believe my good fortune.
    CarlosR"
    Absolutely Right!
    Been There. Done That. Got This. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    That was just a love seat, I have almost that much from another chair. :D

9. CarlosR

CarlosR Junior Member

:eek: THAT IS SO F***ing SWEEEEET! You scored my friend! Congratulations!!

10. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

That's...*snif*...MAGNIFICENT! *breaks down and cries* :D

Seriously cool score, dude! :cool:

11. Traveler

Traveler Junior Member

What a score! Like everyone else I wish I would run into something like that, lol. ;)

12. Therider21

Therider21 Member

Well i used an old welding glove ;) (enough for my first few tries)
    They are verry soft... so maybe not suitable for strongest bands

13. Yamroll2

Yamroll2 New Member

I'm a shoe salesman so I tend to score some whenever we get a defective shoe and the manufacturer says we can cut them up and throw them out, or when things get old to the point they've been written off and I can get them for cheap. Recently picked up a pair of size 47 Ecco boots for $19.00 with thick sturdy leather.

You might be able to find a shoe store with some old as sin shoes they'd let go for a song

14. WPurcell

WPurcell New Member

http://www.chichesterinc.com/ is very good if you're in the US, and is especially good if you live close enough to Niagara Falls to visit their store.

15. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

taking a look into the old-fashioned yellow pages of your region often reveals great sources.

maybe there is a online version with the possibility to type "leather" into a search function too.

i found stores that i didn't see before while passing by.

16. ArnoldKelly

ArnoldKelly Renaissance Redneck

Gives me some ideas for leather sources! I've been needing to go to the local Tandy Leather store. I think this store has a "free scrap bin". If not, I might ask them if I can do a little "dumpster diving" behind their store. ;)