leather pouches

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by thomasmaca45, Dec 13, 2013.

1. thomasmaca45

thomasmaca45 Member

i bought some leather off ebay, i cut it out and it ripped straight away (UPHOLSTERY LEATHER - RECTANGULAR 21 PIECES) its about 1 mm thick.
    I am dissapointed should i have two layers, what should i do.
    what leather is the best to use.

Please help me, thank you.

2. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I assume it ripped at the hole? How close to the edge did you punch it?

3. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I took a chance and went for the 1lb bag of leather scrap and I'm very happy with my purchase. I've got enough leather for probably 50 pouches. Now I just need some pouch templates, cuz the ones I made kinda suck

4. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

maybe try to glue some layers on top of itself , strt with two and test it.

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Two layers could definitely help - as VW mentioned, you don't want the attachment hole too close to the edge of the pouch. VW also mentioned a product in a previous thread (I couldn't find that particular thread) that he uses for laminating leather together that works really well for flexibility. If you can't get that, some epoxy should work fine. I just started making my own pouches recently, based on what I've learned from some others. In general, depending on the size of ammo you want to shoot, you can start out trying a rectangle of 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" long by about 1/2" to 3/4" wide. I like to trim the corners at a 45 degree angle. Then I use my leather punch tool to cut a small hole on each end, leaving about 1/8" to 1/4" material around that hole. If I put a hole in the middle of the pouch for the ammo, I try to make it about 40% - 50% of the ammo size. I suspect with some practice you'll come up with a design that works well for you.

6. thomasmaca45

thomasmaca45 Member

I doubled it up and it can hold about 15 kilograms. It was cut about 6-8mm to to edge with the hole. i am going to use this for a slingshot crossbow and shoot 20 mm steel with thera tube silver.
    Does anyone know what leather jorg uses?

And also what did you mean by using epoxy?

7. thomasmaca45

thomasmaca45 Member

and it stretches a LOT

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Nice reply from Withak. He means gluing two pieces together like this. I use Bostik Leather Adhesive
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't feel safe using the leather you are describing with something as strong as Theratube Silver. I dont know what other people use but Kangeroo, Buffalo, Nubuck and heavy guage Kip leather are all very strong.

9. thomasmaca45

thomasmaca45 Member

Thank you everyone for the help.
    Wouldn't gluing two layers together make it stiff and not flexible?

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It depends on the leather. I've got a number of laminated pouches. When they're newly laminated, they may be a bit stiff, but will loosen up with use. If you can get the Bostik adhesive VW mentioned, it's probably going to give you the best flexibility - and he knows his leather :)

Nice pouch BTW, VW.

11. RRRsdragger

RRRsdragger New Member

I'd tend to use A veg tanned leather of about 2mm to 2.5 mm thickness (5-6 oz ) in the States I believe. Don't oil it too much as it weakens the leather. Upholstery is often made from leather split into two across the thickness and this weakens it considerably.
    I Know very little about catapults I admit but have made a few items out of leather.
    Sorry a bit too far to post samples
    RRRs

12. Therider21

Therider21 Member

I´m using an old Motorcycle Jacket as a leather source before old welding gloves. Never had problems... is your rubber band very strong??
    Could send you a bit of corse i can´t tell if it´s strong enough for your setting...

13. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I purchased a bag of leather scraps on Ebay from Rocky Mountain Tanners, and it was great stuff. The scraps are enough to make probably 50 to 100 pouches from elk, buffalo and cow hide. It's all supple and thick so I haven't had any problems. With shipping I spent all of 12 bucks on the scraps and it was well worth it.

-Wild Bill

14. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

The last leather I bought was from ebay too, about 1.5 years ago. It was a roughly 12"x24" piece of 1/16" (4oz) thick vegetable tanned split (rough on both sides). I still have enough for a couple dozen pouches. Great stuff. Very strong and stiff, though thin. I got it from this store: http://stores.ebay.com/glovecityleather518, though they appear to only have a box of scraps currently available in the veg. tanned section. If you keep checking back with them, though, I'm sure they'll have some more in the future. Anyway, that would be my suggestion, no matter where you get it from: 4oz. veg. tanned cowhide split. :cool:

Edit: This is for Dankungs and such. With heavier bands you may want to bump up to 5-6oz.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  15. SWAT_sniper

SWAT_sniper New Member

I found bags of scrap leather a chain home craft sore called Hobby Lobby for about $5.00. I've made multiple pouches and the leather quality was great, as a bonus the I found a bag that had feet of leather cordage that was great for wrapping handles.

16. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I got th same stuff, probably enough to make more pouches then I'll ever have slingshots for