Leather for pouches?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by jnmbhj, Feb 13, 2014.

1. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

2. walkslo

walkslo Member

no idea,link(looks all black to me)
    I'd go and look for leather gardening gloves and start from there.;)
    Does anybody know which is the best glue to laminate leather is?

3. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I used paper glue....still fine

4. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

I gather that Kangaroo leather is generally considered one of the best. But I do have problems with pouches tearing, sometimes only lasting a few shots so I have started laminating using an impact adhesive to join the layers. Early days but this seems promising.

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Bostik leather adhesive is great for laminating leather, it's strong and flexible. If it can handle a Golden eagle picking at it it can't be bad! Though I have used impact adhesive and epoxy with good results.

Stay way from split hide. Kangaroo, buffalo, nubuck and even kip leather are all strong and longlasting. I use a minimum of 1.6mm thickness regardless of type, thicker is better with heavier loads.

Ruthie, have you thought about using eyelets to spread the load and stop the pouches ripping? Should work nicely on tubes.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  6. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Ruthie, have you thought about using eyelets to spread the load and stop the pouches ripping? Should work nicely on tubes.[/QUOTE]

yes, I really must try this. It makes a lot of sense and would keep down the overall weight and stiffness of the pouch. I've got a full range of hole punches so it should be easy to cut out little washers like the ones used to reinforce the holes in office paper

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Good info on leather and laminating Scooby.

8. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I bought a bunch of cow and elk leather scraps on Ebay from Rocky Mountain Tanners. It was cheap and probably enough for over 100 pouches.

-Wild Bill

9. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

From all my knowledge about leather, I would have to agree.

If you have pouches tearing, go thicker.

I might suggest an old belt that has been worn enough to be flexible.

Maybe a tool belt pouch from a yardsale.

If you have a local leather source/ supplier, ask them if you can look around in the back room. I used to get entire thick hides and pieces that were like 2'x3' for $10.00 each. when I was doing a bunch of leatherwork.

These places usually sell all the tools you could possibly need to do leatherwork. Snaps and rivets too.