Lead Shot

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by CattyJack, Apr 16, 2018 at 1:14 PM.

Tags:
  1. CattyJack

CattyJack New Member

Hi,
    Does anyone use lead shot, the type intended for shotgun cartridges, as ammo? (not the really small stuff, around 8-9mm). I understand they are made in a drop tower rather than cast so they'll probably be a bit less round but do you think this would make much of a difference in accuracy over catapult ranges? Just asking as you can bulk buy this much cheaper.

Thanks,
    Jack.

2. Belargo

Belargo Mad Scientist

I thought that they are made in drop towers specifically because that results in rounder balls. Anyway, if it's good enough for firearms it's certainly good enough for slingshots.
    The higher density should also reduce air resistance and susceptibility to crosswinds, so that's a plus too.

3. CattyJack

CattyJack New Member

I thought that initially too but a shooting site I looked at seemed to reckon they were not as round as cast balls. Yeah that makes sense. Good point, I didn't think about crosswinds. I mainly shoot lead so it doesn't come bouncing back at me if I hit the patio!

4. Blankwalker

Blankwalker Member

Saw a thread in another slingshot forum where they even casted eliptc ( ancient) ammo as the pouch doesn t give a spin ..
    shouldn t be an issue.

5. CattyJack

CattyJack New Member

Oh ok, that's good to know if even that shape works.

Thanks.