·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Egmont!
Did you make your mold yourself? If yes what material did you use?
I'm really interested!:confused:

Thanks a lot!
colinus

·
Registered
934 Posts
That looks like my future mold! Wish that stuff wasn't so expensive though, costs 30$/kg here.
How much silicone did you use on your mold? Do you use any lube for it?
Anyways grats! Those lead balls look great, I wouldn't believe if someone told me you can cast them so successfully with silicone molds.

·
Slingshot General
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Egmont!
Did you make your mold yourself? If yes what material did you use?
I'm really interested!:confused:

Thanks a lot!
colinus
yes i made it myself, and i used silicon made for mouldmaking :)

·
Slingshot General
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks like my future mold! Wish that stuff wasn't so expensive though, costs 30$/kg here.
How much silicone did you use on your mold? Do you use any lube for it?
Anyways grats! Those lead balls look great, I wouldn't believe if someone told me you can cast them so successfully with silicone molds.
yes it is a little expensive, but i got 500ml for about 50$ so its not too bad for you ;)

and i have about 2/5 silicon left.

but i think its good value for money because buying moulds is expensive, and you can make just the one size balls you like.

·
Registered
934 Posts
yes it is a little expensive, but i got 500ml for about 50$ so its not too bad for you ;)

and i have about 2/5 silicon left.

but i think its good value for money because buying moulds is expensive, and you can make just the one size balls you like.
Yeah, I guess that is not bad at all then.
I was going to try a wooden one but this seems so much easier for the different sizes of ammo. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Locked in a vise is probably smart, but looks like it would slow down how many you can cast.

There are a lot of fishing sinker molds in ball shape for around 30$ for sale around here. Most have openings for brass eye's that could be plugged or filled.

Would let you cast hundreds per hour instead of 20-30, and probably give you multiple sizes.
http://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Cannon-Ball-Sinker-Molds-P303.aspx

That is just one way! The world is your oyster! (Means get up off your duff, dive in, go pry some off a rock and swim back to shore with them, then enjoy! And none of it happens until you dive in!)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Gonna bump this thread. It's a good idea and I want to see the "Brain Trust" play with it.

·
Slingshot General
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Locked in a vise is probably smart, but looks like it would slow down how many you can cast.

There are a lot of fishing sinker molds in ball shape for around 30$ for sale around here. Most have openings for brass eye's that could be plugged or filled.

Would let you cast hundreds per hour instead of 20-30, and probably give you multiple sizes.
http://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Cannon-Ball-Sinker-Molds-P303.aspx

That is just one way! The world is your oyster! (Means get up off your duff, dive in, go pry some off a rock and swim back to shore with them, then enjoy! And none of it happens until you dive in!)
Haha, you know, if i would like an aluminun sinkermould i think i have just bought one, but they are not easy to get here (Denmark) then i should order it from England or Germany and then it would be quite expensive..
by the way, i can make not only 20-30 but way over 100 castings in this silicon mould and i can make them in exactly the sixe i would like.

·
Slingshot General
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I guess that is not bad at all then.
I was going to try a wooden one but this seems so much easier for the different sizes of ammo. Thanks!
you can do wooden ones no problem, before this i used wooden moulds, you can cast quite few if you use some hard wood and if you round your drillbit you can make them just the size you want.
i would say you should give it a try, and poste the result ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts