Le Lance-Thomas

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Stabberthomas, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Stabberthomas

Stabberthomas New Member

Le Lance-Thomas [UPDATE, AUG 6]

[​IMG] Some wood, not sure.
    [​IMG] A swimming cap, works ok.
    [​IMG] Small stones.

Here I am in south-east France on holiday, and it's pouring down.
    I decided to take this time to post here.

I stumbled across a gorgeous fork of strong yet very carve-able wood, and decided to make a slingshot frame out of it.
    I've only done this once before, and I used a bicycle tube as rubber, which did not shoot very far at all.

The fork itself is very basic, as I could only use a Victorinox, and didn't feel like carving it in great detail. I just made it functional and comfortable in my hand.

I wanted to go for a different type of rubber this time, and I found a swimming cap at a local supermarket. I guess it's something similar to rubber like theraband. I cut it up in bands and attached it to my frame using an elastic rope. I made a pouch out of a flip-flop that broke on me that day.

This is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

Sadly however, the swimming cap was not very strong and started to tear quickly.

I managed to shoot some 50fps footage of the thing in action, and stitch the pics together. Take a look:

[​IMG]

Here's a gif of it:
    http://i.imgur.com/UPKryGh.gif

It shoots stones from the size of my thumbnail to the size of my thumb.
    It shoots pretty fast too, I calculated that it exits the pouch at around 50-60 km/h. I don't know if that's really any good, but it's the fastest I've ever shot for sure.

I might go look for some proper rubber later today, until then, au revoir.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  2. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Good job and creative use of rubber.
    Use rotary knife to cut rubber that may prevent tearing.

3. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

wow, cool pic and nice animation!

seems like you are a great shooter.

functionality has priority for me too! don't want to say that the fascinating artwork of others doesn't astonish me.

don't think that swimming caps and flip-flop pouches are anywhere near theraband and kangaroo leather. you'll be surprised what shooting with good resistance bands feel like. keep on, have fun!

4. Stabberthomas

Stabberthomas New Member

@Snader76

You mean those things that look like pizza cutters? I only have a swiss army knife at my disposal.

@MaddyMax Thanks. It's really fun to shoot, it shoots pretty far too :)

5. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

cutting latex bands (the swimming cap may be silicon based?) could be a real pain, the thinner they are.

with very sharp scissors (no nicks!) you could cut theraband gold if you raise the bands from the table and really take care to cut just one line, no zig-zag. almost impossible task with thinner latex bands. toksick showed us a trick using masking tape on both sides.

but nothing can beat roller cutters and self-healing mat.

6. Snader76

Yes pizza cutter looking thing ;)
    Or you can use scissors if you have to, but to get a nick free cut fold or roll rubber in a way that will allow you to cut it with one cut and that should work for a knife to.
    Happy shooting.

7. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

Nice work there.

8. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Nice slingshot and cool-looking animation!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

9. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Get a pack of #64 rubber bands from... Well, just about anywhere.

10. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I am an adept of MacGyverism. Nice fork and nice job on it my friend.
    Par rapport à la coupe, CECI devrait t' être utile. A noter que tu peux utiliser un cutter( stanley knife) à la place de sciseaux.
    PS: Welcome to the forum.

11. Stabberthomas

Stabberthomas New Member

Oh man, my french is awful, but thanks for the tip!

12. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Oops, sorry! I thought you are from France, somehow i didn' t see/ read the word holidays.

13. Stabberthomas

Stabberthomas New Member

Major Update!

Environment shift! From the woods of south-east France to the Mediterranean coasts of Spain!
    I got some new rubber, it's surgical tube I think, the previous rubber broke. This stuff packs a nice punch, but it's not too stretchy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see I added a little wrist strap for shooting near cliffs, and little ties hold the cord that attach the rubber in place.
    I burnt the ends of the rope to stop fraying, and I pretty much had to braid every single string to stop fraying in the middle.

Here's a new shooting gif:
    (Excuse the shirtlessness, it's really really hot outside :S)

[​IMG]

I found a can, and used it as a target:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see I'm not a very strong guy, but I feel like the rubber does not use all of my power. Should I double-band it?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  14. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

you can first try to loop the tube on the fork side and attach just one tube between this loop and the pouch (so called pseudo-tapering). if it's still not enough you can still double up completely.

15. Snader76

Double up, double up. <= see what I did there.
    Judging by the video clips you got good technic and you can probably shoot with lower forks.
    I would consider cutting them down if double band setup will be to hard on your wrist and affect control.
    Like the primal looks of your catapult!

16. Stabberthomas

Stabberthomas New Member

@maddymax:
    I have no rubber to waste, so if I get more, I'm going to double up completely. Interesting technique though, thanks for sharing!

@snader:
    Well, I suppose I'll be getting more of this stuff soon! I don't know about lowering the fork just yet, I still mess up like one in a hundred shots, I'll have to practice some more. I collected a bunch of soda cans, and I'm going to have some fun tomorrow :)

17. Stabberthomas

Stabberthomas New Member

Well, doubling up didn't do much, the only thing it doubled was the amount of wrist-slap.
    My accuracy went down, and it only shot a little further, while taking much more power to shoot.

I'll keep the bands single for recreational shooting for now, it's a lot more fun this way.
    I got some cool footage which I'll process sometime later, but here's the cleanest shot I got today:

[​IMG]