Lazy sunday fork hunting

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Obl1v1Aus, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Today my Dad and I decided to go and explore the bushland on the outskirts of town, wasn't planning on looking for forks to start with but I threw the saw in the ute just in case.

As we were driving down one of the tracks we spotted a cluster of dead myall trees, so saw in hand we went and had a look. And managed to score 4 interesting forks that hopefully I can do something with
    ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1388299412.165689.jpg
    They are gnarled and twisted but should be ok to carve.

Later in the day on another winding track we came across a pile of green waste, someone had felled a couple of trees in their yard and dumped it in the bush. Being a model citizen I took some of the green waste with me :D ( thankfully they were all natives, otherwise I'd have removed them all and disposed of them properly)

There were two different trees, one a gum tree that I scored this lot from
    ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1388299710.850138.jpg
    Not sure what kind of gum tree it is

And an unknown tree, it has really smooth bark and a sweet smell to it, and a very dark heartwood.
    If anyone has any Ideas on what it might be I'd love to hear it
    ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1388299974.975097.jpg ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1388299991.687258.jpg

2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Wow, Obl! These last ones are incredible! I believe that they are going to be amazing pieces !

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Nice job!! Nothing like rambling about and procuring a batch of forks to work with!
    That mystery wood looks very much like a fruit tree of some kind. Generally, fruit wood is very good to build from.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Those are some awesome natural forks.

5. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

Some goodlooking naturals will be getting out of these fotks i think! :)

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Some very characterful forks there, should make some good-looking naturals :)

7. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Good things are about to happen due to this fork hunt...

-Wild Bill

8. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I am foreseeing some really nice shooters from those.