last week's findings

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by studer1972, Jul 12, 2013.

1. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I was off on vacation at my swamp last week. I got a few afternoons of good shooting in. I got to try out my newest self made boardcut fork using 1/2' glass, steel, lead, and M10 hexnuts. Tore two aluminum cans into twisted wrecks playing follow the jumping can with the marbles and got to test some Gopher Slingshots TBG (TBG 11/16" W by 6" L) bands against 1/4" plywood with glass, steel, lead, and hexnuts.

The glass made a small dent with no backface deformation at 10'. Steel punched neat holes with little spalling on the backface. Lead punched larger, rougher holes with significant backface spalling. Hex nuts made a deeper dent than the 1/2" marbles, with significant backface deformation.

I was also getting fork hits with the hex nuts. One hit on the left side of the fork and just made a dent on the fork. Two hit in about the same spot on the right, the second once cracking the frame all the way through and knocking the lucky penny off the front. The image isn't the best, but the dark line along the right hand side of the handle is the crack.

[​IMG]

In terms of overall impact, I think the hex nuts delivered the most force, but I really liked the effects of the lead, too. Making the cans dance was a lot of fun, as well.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

plinking 'round is always fun.

i don't shoot hexnut's with normal(?) - or to be more precisely with too narrow - frames anymore because you have to really take care on how you hold and release the pouch.
    once i destroyed a boardcut frame with just a plastic cube from a boardgame and hit my fingernail too because it turned somehow after release in the pouch.

take care not to get insured by your frame. don't use it anymore when it has already cracks.

3. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Sorry to hear about the broken ss, but sounds like a peach of a vacation to me otherwise.

Glad only a piece of wood and not a piece of Studer:)

I'd like to learn more about how edged ammo leaves a pouch, and how best to use it safely. Some slomo cam work might go a long ways toward this. My hunch right now is that pouch length (from tie to tie) has a greater effect when the pouch is pinched into sort of a square.
    What are the dimensions, materials and tie method of your pouch?

4. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I'm thinking of going back to wearing a heavy work glove on my shooting hand again. Been having a lot of problems with fork hits the last few times I've shot. Last week was going really well vs fork hits until I got the hex nuts out.

The pouch is a 3/4" W by 2 3/4" long leather with a center hole. I've been trying to be very careful about centering the ammo in the pouch and twisting the pouch to avoid funny business.

Vacation was great. Got to do a lot of reading, some work on my swamp, fishing, and time with my wife. I'm still disappointed about breaking my slingshot, it was shooting really nicely until I broke it. At least I can make more!

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Sorry to see the fork hit. That must be really aggravating:mad:
    Still, glad you didn't injure yourself....although, going through life with a hex nut stuck in your thumb would be a good conversation starter:D!
    Sounds like you had a great vacation as well! How was the fishing? What kind of work did you do on the swamp?

6. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Thanks Will. Fishing was great. The walleye were biting on Mille Lacs that night. My wife outfished me as usual, but my biggest fish beat hers by 1/2". :cool:

I mowed the part of our property where we camp, relax, and have our firepit. My wife and I also put up a gazebo. In June, a couple friends and I widened my driveway up there, too. 35 tons of gravel.

7. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Sounds like a beautiful place Studer!
    Glad the walleye were on the bite, those fish are great to eat! Its a shame they don't have them out here.
    Sounds like you put in a ton of work, but its the rewarding kind. At the end of the day you light the fire and relax and watch the sunset...and swat mosquitoes:D

8. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

I feel bad for that SS... It looks so out of the box... But everything has to die...

9. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Me too. It was my first board cut on it's first outing.

10. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Your swamp sounds very cool.

By the description of you pouch it sounds appropriate to M10 size.
    I noticed the pouch that gave me lots of fork hits was so short my grip was on the band ties, which I now think was sketchy.

Yours sound like you are gripping on leather in front of the ammo, which to my understanding is better.

I was keeping my pouches as small as reasonable to cut out lost energy in non-ammo weight. My next experiments will all be involving more pouch to grip in front of the ammo.

And I think my fork hand will have some kind of protection with edged ammos.