Laser Cut - Joerg Sprave, James Bond Slingshot

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by jt-1911, Jun 29, 2013.

1. jt-1911

jt-1911 Senior Member ProPlatinum

Hey guys,
    So long story short, today i had acess (I will have so in the future too. ) to a 30 w, laser cutter which is priced t around 20 k. With this AMAZING tool I decided to cut out a Joerg Sprave, James Bond Slingshot ! So here it goes. The guzn is completely Laser Cut from MDF. Cutting out all three layers of this gun only took about 5 min. If you guys have any plans of guns or other things (They have to be vector based) then contact me. Also in the lab in which this was created, they have about 10 3d Printers and 3d scanners, so expect some of that in the future. Also there will be a video on my youtube channel, of the pistol, enjoy the pics :)

2. is the mdf strong enough?
    also i cant see the pics? :) really cool idea!
    i think that i have found somewhere near me!

3. jt-1911

Attached Files:

4. jt-1911

Yes the MDF is very strong (Suprisingly). Sory I just uploaded the pics now. In some you can really see what precision work the laser can do!!!

5. that is cool!
    just out of interest can the lazer cut plywood? also i like how to lazer also wrote the made by joerg sprave

6. jt-1911

Yes you can cut plywood. The thickest material they cut with this laser is 1 cm acrylic, so I could make the complete gun from acrylic, which would look really nice!!! Also I agree with the detail shown in the created by jeorg sprave. :)

7. Genious!

It's good to have such vitamine B(eziehung)!

So the work is much easier, because all is correct!

Joe

8. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

9. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

Very cool, and the contour black finishing looks so good !

10. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

That is very nice work. Don't we all need such tools in our shops...

An acrylic one would look sweet, but polycarbonate (like lexan) would be safer for the fork plate. Plexyglass/acrylic is too brittle IMO.

Sounds like a very well equipped place, can't wait to see what you make there next.

11. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

This is awesome.
    I imagine how much boardcuts for "normal" slingshots you can make in no time with that stuff. Then you just have to glue them and do the rest of the work with hand tools. I am curious about how much it cost to cut something?!

12. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

in my school we have laserprinter and a 3d printer i used it to make a plane!!

J

13. jt-1911

Exactly, I thought about that too, basically just a layered slingshot, where you cut out the 10-15 different shapes and then glue them on top of each other and voaiola! Maybe I´ll give it a try :)

14. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

You got to cut a frikken slingshot frame with a frikken laserbeam?!?!

*So* jealous! Awesome work, looking forward to seeing more production. Is this lab at your work?

I keep thinking there should be a workshop where you can rent time on the tools and space, like some of the autoparts stores in Minnesota have for auto mechanics. There are also fully stocked kitchens that just charge time and ingredients. Why not for makers & tinkerers?

15. jt-1911

Well the place I whent to does exactly that, it has laser cuters, LOADS of 3d Printers (Some industrial size) and much much more like CNC mills which you are able to use. Either for rent or your a partner and its free!

16. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Even more jealous. Sounds like an awesome place.

17. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

When I grow up and become an evil genius I'll have setup like that in my lair!
    Great gun.