Large Anti Ball

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by JoergS, Jun 29, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

OK, I made one. Took me a lot of grinding.

From a 20mm massive steel bar!

The "raw" block weighs 56 gramms. The grinded Anti Ball is 29 gramms - exactly the weight of a 20mm round steel ball!

This thing is frightening. You can't touch it without pain.

Attached Files:

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

can't wait to see this being shot!

3. Haecksler

Haecksler Naturalist

I just can say: thank you! :) Yesterday we shot a new with 16mm, very impressional, much more destruction as by the 10mmm"Original" ;)

4. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I got to try those little beasts!!!

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Everything about that ammo says 'nasty!' I can only imagine the damage those can inflict!

6. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

That will do some serious damage. Nice work Joerg

7. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

Now that'll rip a can apart!!!
    Just another coffee shop engineering thought; you could get a piece of plate that thickness and grid off drill holes( mill would be more precise). That would give you your four flutes. Then you could file the bevel into the flutes and points.

8. slawek

slawek New Member

My english not that good so it will be hard to explain but i hope u get what i mean :p
    instead of "alot grinding" u can just try use a drill to make 6 "holes" something like this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    make same hole each side

just use bigger drill something same size like that cube u use this way i think u get nice dice with driled center and if u drill each side of it u should get something like a spikes on the edges of it. This should look good i think:p

9. Cadman

Cadman New Member

I just made 20 of these on my lathe with a four jaw chuck.
    I held the two at a time, but then I realized that a
    drill press or milling machine would work as well.
    Here is a sketch of the process.
    Regards, Brian

Attached Files:

10. Cadman

Cadman New Member

Well slawek has a much easier approach than mine!
    I always say that if you want to find the easiest way
    to do something, Give it to the laziest guy in the shop! :D

Sorry slawek, I'm just kidding!
    Brian

11. Haecksler

Haecksler Naturalist

I used the rougher wheel of an double grinder to make the originals. That was Time of about 10 minutes per piece at the 10mm Version, the 15ers were really easier to make 'cause you have more space for the pliers when grinding.
    But with a bit more routine I'll be able to make them in 2 to 5 minutes ;)
    Good Luck with the experiments, thank you to share my idea! :)
    I can't wait for the video, I would be very proud if I'll be mentioned.

Greetings, Haecksler!

Big Edit:
    I saw lots of you doing drawings - most of them with little cubes as edges because the circle angle wasn't deep enoug or with too sharp eges because the circle angle was too deep ;)
    Now i done a drawing by myself which should explain the way how you receive the right circle angle.
    Sorry for using MS Paint, but i hope you can understand how i mean it:
    [​IMG]

Don't think the square at the right sinde hasn't straight lines, that's just a good optical illusion ;)
    7 Steps to receive it:
    1. Draw a circle
    2. Pull a cross in it
    3. Make the "Fantastic Four"-logo out of it (Line between two ends of the cross)
    4. Draw an orthogonal line through the center
    5. Pull in the square with the edges at this eges
    6. Check the relationship between the circle radius and the sides of the square, use this to get the outer circle radius out of your square bar
    7. Take this circle's radians and calculate the cutting deepness

Ok, there mus be an easier way to get my perfect form, but this is the only to get the right weight (x mm Antiball weights the same like x mm normal ball) :D Right, it is just one fix number with tells the FIX relationship between square side lenght and cutting deepness, but I'm too lazy to calculate that for you, but i might be round about 0.15 .
    If you are too lazy to do this, just do it to gut while looking at my first photo:
    [​IMG]
    OK, this is just an edit, you don't need my greetings...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  12. Otees

Otees Another Member

Cool, I love your ingenuity. If i was to ever shoot that, i would wear gloves.

13. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

If there is a rts-ammo bringing danger to the shooter this is it.
    Like stones with sharp edges they will stick in the pouch and the risk of bouncing back or hitting the hand is very high.

Let it be.

14. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I'm with G_Y about not shooting these babies toward your hand. The idea was always to use a closed-barrel launcher.

What way to push this ammo without eating up paracord?

Can metal beads be welded to the ends of stainless steel cable and used as tie points?
    In the earlier post you said that clamping hardware is too weight expensive.

Or do you then need a metal trigger to withstand the rubbing of the cable?

The destructive potential of edged ammo is an exciting frontier in slingshots I think. After some close calls all of my own experiments will be from ashtray-shooter style guns.

15. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I shot it about a dozen times this morning, no problem so far. It flies just normal.

I shot it against a particle board that a normal 20mm steel ball will crash right through - but I covered it with a loosely hanging towel. This means that the ball won't penetrate, it just makes a dent into the board and then bounces off.

The sharp anti ball cuts through the towel and sticks into the board, almost (but not quiet) flying through.

This one will draw blood where a round ball will just cause a huge blunt trauma with subcutaneous bleeding.

RTS shots from these won't be stopped by a jacket.

16. Haecksler

Haecksler Naturalist

We never had problems with this or any other ammo, can someone explain why they should be more likely a RTS? I see no source if the pouch fits the ammo right that it can't jump out! OK, maybe if you use Flatbands with paracord stripes between the bands and the pouch - but he'll certainly shoot them with normal TBG flatband directly attached to the pouch, just like we did!

Greetings, Haecksler!

17. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I don't see it either. I think it is more a psychological issue. To release something sharp and pointy takes more courage than a round steel ball.

18. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

Thanks Cadman! That was what I was taking about, but it's much better when you can render it in CAD!!! :D
    Most don't have a mill/lathe, including myself, but I know Joerg has one or both, so that's why I mentioned it. They'd look pretty, all nicely machined. If you've got access to one, it be nice to see a machined one.
    Another way, if one doesn't have a lathe/mill would be, if one has a compressor( air not Mercedes....) would be a die grinder with a barrel bit. The bit might even be affective in a high RPM drill.

Joerg, do you have both a lathe and mill?

19. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

The close calls I had were shooting smooth cubes, 53 grams. They left the pouch early and skimmed my hand, not at anything near full energy.

This was in a large w- frame with triple tbg per side.

Could a pouch that is too short cause this ammo to flip out sideways? I think the width is OK, just a bit wider than the cubes.

I do twist the pouch, so that my left thumbnail faces the ground, even with my collarbone not quite back to my shoulder.

I miss watching them crash into file cabinets and almost through the second layer out the back.:D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  20. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I do. However I used my angle grinder to make the anti ball.

Tested some more with it, even made some hispeed video. Seems like for raw destruction (particle boards), balls and even the ungrinded cubic steel block are more effective.