Lapsed slingshotter?

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by RRRsdragger, Dec 4, 2013.

1. RRRsdragger

RRRsdragger New Member

Hi from the UK
    Like a few others I haven't used a catapult since my teens and I'm 57 now (still can't get used to calling them a slingshot sorry). I saw Joege's YouTube videos and needed to have a go. I splashed out on a Bloodshot and a Rambone is on its way. I need to see which works for me and which inspire me to make a catapult. My other interests are working with greenwood and leather but nothing very fancy I must admit.
    I've made a couple of bands but not tried them out yet.
    Now if I am practicing could I use lower powered bands and lighter ammo, as I couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo at the moment,
    Any recommendations for an inexpensive ammo which wont cause damage if it goes wayward. As you can probably gather any help would be most welcome
    RRRs

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Welcome to the forum! Great to have you with us!
    Beware of the slings...er...catapult bug, this hobby is very addictive! Your idea of using lower-powered bands is good. Typically, I find my accuracy to increase if I'm not pulling back the heavier bands. Perhaps another member could weigh in on the not-so-dangerous ammo. I was thinking paintballs might be good to learn with. Biodegradable and not nearly as unforgiving as a chunk of steel or lead. Just a thought.
    Enjoy your time here, and we look forward to seeing your pictures and input on the threads.

Great signature, as well. I like that!

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Welcome aboard, Sir!

Seems to me you are a very experienced person;
    Good to know you have an eye on us now!

Greetings to Islay, the promised land!

Be

4. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Personally I think a catch box is vital if your going to catch the bug and try to master shooting.

With a good catch box you can use any ammo, even lead, and get most of them back again.

Mine was a 50 gallon garbage can that was obsolete. But there are 19$ clothes hampers that look like they would work well.

Then your going to want to try shooting a few marbles, a few steelies, etc to see what you like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Catchbox has undergone some obvious modifications over time.

I started with a piece of floor runner but a lighter fabric works better.
    The runner is still there, but moved farther back and screwed directly to the back of the bin.

PS the auto resetting target works, but unless your seriously good I'd shy away from it as it seriously screwed up my self confidence.

For starting shooting its hard to beat a pop can in my opinion. Cheap and easy to come by, easy to hang, and a very satisfying sound when you hit it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Welcome to the forum! I agree with Will, paint balls can be fun to shoot, but fair warning - fork hits are messy - I just did that yesterday - the paint really sticks to the bands :( While I have yet to try it, I've heard several folks mention the use of small pieces of aluminium foil to make little balls - they're light weight, cheap and don't cause much damage. And, as Ghost said, a catch box is a great idea. I still haven't built one, so when I shoot outdoors I only recover a fraction of my ammo. I have used a simple cardboard box with an old towel as a backstop - it works well, but won't last long.

6. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

alu foil balls...great idea... also clay balls are good for practice and wont brake many things.

7. RRRsdragger

RRRsdragger New Member

I'd thought of using dog food, the kibble not the soft stuff :-D at least won't have to pick them up again any thoughts?
    As to Islay I'm due another visit to that promised land
    RRRsdragger

8. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Welcome to SSC and back to the slingshot world. On your question about non-damaging ammo… I suspect there isn’t any such thing. Anything with any weight that’s hurled at serious speed is going to be damaging and anything without any significant weight won’t fly very well for very long, so it won’t be any good for target shooting. Paintballs are going to make a conspicuous, colorful mess wherever they impact and that won’t enhance your popularity in your community. I agree with what was said above about a catch box being the way to go. If you’re shooting at a place where you can’t use one, I think having a good backstop is the answer. Luckily, steel balls shot from a slingshot aren’t like rifle bullets--SS ammo runs out of gas and drops to the ground in comparatively short order, so you hopefully shouldn’t have too much (?) of a problem with shots gone awry. Good luck with it.

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Aluminium foil balls are great non-damaging practice ammo. I used some last night whilst test shooting BV's trade slin...er, catty. It's a decent place to start, just try to compress the foil as much as possible and make it round as you can.
    cheers
    Dolo

P.S. welcome to the house of usher, may you fall in with the rest of us loonies!

10. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Aside from marshmallows, there is no safe ammo.
    Safer Ammo= Jelly babies. Mentos, gumballs, dried peas, soybeans, foil balls etc. Welcome and Happy Shootin'!

11. RRRsdragger

RRRsdragger New Member

Wow
    Thanks for all the replies tried some dog biscuits this evening using single strand black theraband and manage to hit a target, only 4m away but hey its a start.
    trouble is can't get the dogs in out of the garden. Going to roll some foil balls now
    RRRs

12. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

As a dog owner i would call you bad names if i cought you OUTSIDE shooting dog kibble. Only do that at your own property.

13. RRRsdragger

RRRsdragger New Member

Don't think the local populace would appreciate me shooting dog biscuits around the streets.
    on a more serious note I weighed the alu balls and they were the same weight as dog biscuits,0.9g, so dog biscuits it is. Here's to fat basset hounds:D
    RRRs