La r's Split Frame

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Ravensbull, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Lars' Split Frame

Much thanks for the great pattern Lars!
    This thing is a blast with short triple tbb and my home cast lead! It's white oak scraps with a wipe of ebony Minwax stain then epoxied the dowel in. 24 hour BLO soak and purified beeswax rub applied with a blow dryer. The bands have been cut down I believe this the third time from big butterfly bands. I also showed the theraband green I like to tie with, it's 2.5" long × 3/8" or 1/2" wide. I like to tie the pouch with about 5 wraps pulled at about 70% stretch, then the last two over my string pull at full stretch. Never a fail and seems to last well. I also talc the wraps and band tips before starting. Thanks for looking guys!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Now THAT'S what I call thinking outside the slingshot! I dig the creativity, unique design and the quality behind the build. Two thumbs up!

-Wild Bill

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Well thought-out!
    And a very useful explanation,
    besides a valuable design-

perfect job!

thanks for sharing!

Be

4. LW

LW New Member

Very nice Idea, I do not like the wood, but that's a matter of opinion.

Very well done!

5. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

great job! i was wondering when somebody would try this and you did great!

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I like that! Its like the skeleton stock of the slingshot world!

7. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Excellent!! Three times I tried to build this design (loved it ever since I saw Lars share it), and failed every time. I'm glad you pulled it off, looks fantastic!

8. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Thanks for the great comments guys! This is a fun and challenging frame to build due to the precision drilling required. I initially had failed also while drilling the larger side even with a drill press and vice due to an improperly aligned angle and crappy drill bit. So I went and bought a good brad point bit and first piloted the holes with a 3/32" bit.