Krackhead and Pineshank (my first try at nattys)

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by uberfreak9, Mar 29, 2015.

1. uberfreak9

uberfreak9 Lord Of Crows

Hi. I've been skulking around for a long while looking at natural shooters to get some design ideas and try my hand at making a few... luckily I live right next to an old golf course so it has bunch of exotic and local trees making the trail around it practically an arboretum... I cut a few forks from some fallen limbs and put together my first two natural slingshots... the first is from some sort of eucalyptus tree I'm guessing and the other one was from a type of pine... the wood was so white but took on a nice yellow color after sanding (up to 220 grit) and I sprayed a buttload of coats on them with a can of Bulls Eye Shellac... the "eucalyptus" fork cracked when I let it sit a few days after de-barking... I even nuked it a bit but it didn't drop in weight significantly... whatever it is, I put one of the tree's leaves in the photo below... it was interesting wood since it was very fine grain and hard... I tried putting an epoxy and sawdust mix into the cracks... i botched the job but stopped caring since I kind of like the cracked look and I'm actually not the kind of person to make exquisitely crafted items... I really am just a filthy animal. :D The bunny in the photo with Pineshank is my sweet Lil Bean... she's a rescue bunny and cancer survivor... the guitar is my '72 Ovation Balladeer which has a nice crack in the sound board yet is sounds awesome (I put heavy bronze strings .014-.059 on it, tune it to open-C and play with a glass slide).

Attached Files:

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Good looking natties mam.

3. Jeb

Jeb Baba Hunter

Nice. Fantastic names, too!

4. kindlebear

kindlebear Slinger of Shots

The crack looks damn cool, man. Just gives the handle this rugged, used, bad ass look.
    Great pieces, hope you'll share your shooting experience with us soon.

5. nottoyslingshots

nottoyslingshots Natural Slingshots Enthusiast

Great work man!
    The Krackhead is my favourite.
    Keep up the good work!

6. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

7. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Nice work. Keep at it. Naturals are always a wonderful wait and see surprise.

8. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Nice! IMO, a way better than that EDC monstruosity....

9. uberfreak9

uberfreak9 Lord Of Crows

I had to read this twice... sounds like something you could say in public and get a nice face slap. :D

10. uberfreak9

uberfreak9 Lord Of Crows

OK... I actually stopped eating dairy this year so their is no way I'm getting near some udders unless they are NOT lactating and come with a pretty face. :D

11. uberfreak9

uberfreak9 Lord Of Crows

Your words are so true even more so today as I've been working on a few more pieces in particular was an old fork from a dead maple... I'll let you be the judge when I post photos. :)

12. uberfreak9

uberfreak9 Lord Of Crows

I like monsters so no surprise there! :D

13. Jeremy

Damn typo! Oh well. We still good for the week of the 6th?

14. uberfreak9

uberfreak9 Lord Of Crows

are you still planning on being in Seattle then? I thought you had come and gone already.

15. Jeremy

Last week was Spokane. I will be in Seattle the week of April 6th.

16. Bone

Bone Slingshot Shooters

Nice looking naturals. They look comfortable to shoot too.