KIS and a moose

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by GoodRum, Jan 10, 2014.

1. GoodRum

GoodRum Slingshot Newb

Just an update from the last spare time I had on Christmas Break.

The first one is my first attempt at a natural fork. I call it KIS (Keep It Simple) because A. Most of the shaping was done with a knife, and B. The fork itself already had a great shape for a sideways shooter. It is made from a Crepe Myrtle fork I got from my back yard, and finished with Watco Danish Oil.

The second isn't technically MY homemade. It's a slingshot my grandmother gave me as a present a couple of years ago. It is a hand carved moose head she got in Wyoming while visiting my aunt. Since, I got it before I really was interested in slingshots, I ignorantly placed it by my window, so the tubes rotted. Long story short, I put new bands on it, so now it's my plinker with surprisingly enough power to puncture a can with 1/4" steel balls (only happened once).

One last question: Cab you reuse old leather pouches? Because I found on randomly and was wondering if there is much of a danger of the already used leather tearing at the holes where you tie the bands.

- GoodRum

Attached Files:

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Ha! Both of these are awesome, and that moose head reminds me of a girl I dated years ago!
    No harm in trying the old leather pouch. Even if it does let go, the bands fly forward after all, so that will mitigate the risk of a band to the eye.

3. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Will, brother, I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken. That's clearly the girl I went to homecoming with. Call me Costanza, our breakup was so bad, last I heard she wasn't into guys anymore;).

4. Markatrog

Markatrog Member

That's funny, almost spit my tea out my noose!

5. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Great work on the KIS!! The moose looks great too

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

6. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

That moose is a classic!

Nice job on your natural.

Leather is pretty forgiving stuff, give it a try, just watch for cracks.

7. GoodRum

GoodRum Slingshot Newb

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Slingshot Forum mobile app

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

The moose is hilarious, love it!

As far as leather goes, I wore a pair of shoes the other day I hadn't worn in 6 months. They didn't fall apart so Im sure leather is resilient ;) Joking aside I used a piece of leather that had been around a hawks leg for a month, cut it down and used it as a pouch. Leather is tough stuff. (or the right leather is anyway!)

9. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Yep it is hilarious

J

10. Proximus

Proximus Junior Member

The moose is great! Thumbs up!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice slingshots both. The moose is a first for me, glad to know it works well for you :)

@Will and Dolomite - dang boys! What kind of girls you got down there in CA? I thought they were all hotties of the 'beachfork' persuasion. Did the Beach Boys lie to me? Exactly how much beer were you guys drinking?

12. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Basically it's like Romy said in the 40 year old virgin, you gotta pound some hoodrats before you deserve a hot beachfork! I put in my work in the trenches, and I was rewarded with a top notch Cali broad:D. Honestly though, what the Beach Boys were singing about kinda tapered off in the late 80's. Those were the days.

13. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Nice work. If I were you I'd fix mr. Moose up a bit. Cut the forks, sand down the poor carving, and use a wax finish on it.