Kindness and Skill

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Withak, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I got home today to find a package in the mail. A small package from California. I wasn't expecting anything, so I had no idea what was inside. A glance at the address told me who this was from - Dolomite. I was curious to see what he had sent to me. It likely wasn't a slingshot, it was too small, too light. I didn't think it was bands or a pouch. So I just needed to tear into it to see what it was.

Inside the package was a smaller box with a short note - what was inside was a 'trial' of what D could do on his scroll saw. I unwrapped the contents and found a very nice surprise inside - a custom cut, slingshot themed Christmas ornament! This is a truly unique gift for no other reason than he wanted to send it.

It's a fine piece of work. Honestly (and I told him this in a PM), this is the type of thing he could make and sell. His skills at the scroll saw table are obviously very good. If you've seen his work, you know that.

I am very appreciative of this piece from my friend Dolomite. My daughter, as usual, would like to claim this for herself. She will have to live with enjoying it just like we will.

Thank you, D, I really appreciate this gift. Here are a couple of photos of what he did as a 'trial' ;)

PS - I forgot to add - that little slingshot in the middle would also make a great little BB shooter as well. I may just trace the design and make one one of these days ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. That is AWESOME! (I know I say that a lot but this really is) after christmas you can actually band that up and use it as a bb shooter by the looks of it "D

3. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Nice one for a Bling! Bling!

4. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Lucky you Withak and very nice work Dolo! What kind of wood? Beautiful grain...

5. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Haha that's great!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Very cool, looks great. :)

7. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Thanks guys, its made from a piece of cherry I got off eBay. It was quite rough and looked fairly plain till it was sanded well.
    A nice grain pattern emerged.

8. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Dolo does a buddy good

9. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Very nice work!

-guess we now have a global slingshot household identification mark.
    Thanks for that and thanks for sharing!

greetings to you,

Be

10. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Sweet! Really cool!! :cool:

11. LW

LW New Member

Looks very nice, what are the dimensions?

12. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Nice idea and great work.

13. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

14. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Oh wow!!!!! Amazing cut, DOLO!

15. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Excellent work, D!! I really like this, and cherry wood is just awesome! A very thoughtful gift from one great guy to another!

16. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Lovely piece of work!

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

3 5/8" wide (19.2 cm) and 1 cm thick

Here's a shot of it in my hand for a reference:

Attached Files:

18. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very nice work.

19. FilipNilssob

FilipNilssob Lactose is my Kryptonite

That's really cool! Neat little gift too! The ring had to been almost impossible to do whole!

20. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Thanks everyone for the kind words! Scrollsaw has been my favorite tool for a while now, and I've been trying non slingy related projects for a little while now. So I figured mixing the two would be nice. It took a bit to decide what design I wanted but when I was building the DIY kit from Scoobs, the decision was made for a Hayes design.