Kid in a Wooden Candy Store

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Withak, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I took an hour or so last week to visit a local woodworking store/warehouse that is only about 5 minutes from my office. I've lived here my whole life and never knew these folks existed - they're one block off a street I've driven more times than I can count. But, they are a woodworking place, and until I got into slingshots, the only wood that had my interest was found at the local big-box home improvement store.

I walked in to this place looking for a source for reasonably priced birch multiplex. Yeah, they have it, and a nice selection too, plus the price is better than anything else I've found. Since I wasn't there to buy that day, I spent some time wandering around and found lots of other things that are going to cause me some financial grief if I go there too often. I'm pretty sure I was drooling on the nice hardwoods, but I imagine they're probably used to that. Couple the selection of woods with a huge array of tools and finish products, and I've definitely found a place I need to avoid ;)

I snapped a couple of photos of what I found inside. I'd like to hear what you folks think of the multiplex pricing since I don't have much to compare it to. Sorry for the reflection on the price list, the 3 columns are for 60"x60", 30"x60", 30"x30". In the next photos, I just grabbed some shots of some various stuff in stock. I like the 'craft board' area - some great wood to use for scales and laminating, all in good pre-cut sizes perfect for slingshots. They also have some Pink Ivory in stock - apparently a very rare wood - and the price would confirm that - a small piece was about $80USD, and that wouldn't go very far. They also have some beautiful pieces of burl wood that would make for great scales or palmswells. I know some folks have mentioned buying wood at Rockler, but we don't have that store here. I suspect this place is very similar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

3. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

4. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

***DROOL***

-Wild Bill

5. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Oh my! That's quite a selection. For comparison's sake i got a 12"x 24' x1/2" birchply board at Michael"s for $8.99 so $49.00 for a 60"x 60" x1/2' piece is pretty good.

I'm like you, no need for wood most of my life but that has all changed.

6. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

When I saw this (pretty, pallet of plentiful, prospective, pickleforks) at the gas station I couldn't resist taking a picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I actually bought a couple of pieces of 1/2" multiplex at Michael's for a decent price, but this place, which I discovered after the fact, has better prices than Michael's, though with a 40% Michael's coupon, they would definitely be competitive.

8. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

I hope you realise that my keyboard is probably ruined now from a combination of drool and tears. It's YEARS since I've been anywhere near a supply of choice woods like that.

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Sorry Ruthie! Didn't mean to cause any sorrow ;)

10. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I see bankruptcy on the horizon ;)

11. jurassicbark2000

jurassicbark2000 jurassicbark2000

Surely those pics come with an adult rating, moderator please remove immediatly ,let me just have another peek first though

12. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Any idea what kind of wood it is?

Pine would not be good, but like hickory or some other hardwood might be awesome to find.

13. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Wenge!!!!!!!

Eat, Sleep, Slingshots

14. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

I see beautifull slingshots all over the place!! If there is something like a woodgasm, that is a place where one would get one :p

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

15. WildBill

Wait for it...

16. WildBill

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHQHkyR0QXk[/ame]

-Wild Bill

17. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

18. WildBill

...And the winner of, "The song that took the least time to come up with and produce is... Wild Bill, for Withak's Shopping!"

"I'd like to thank the academy, but if I did I'd be in the wrong place anyway. Besides, I shoot slingshots- Why would I give a damn about awards and such?"

-Wild Bill

19. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Wow, that was FAST Bill! I don't know how you do it. Gave me a nice smile though.

And yes, I did make it out of there without spending a single dime that day. It wasn't easy. The power tool section was a whole different test of my ability to remain calm and not whip out the credit card. I do still think about it though. And now that Scooby has messed up my brain with the salad fingers videos, I may just have to go back and run my fingers over the grain of those fine products. (I should note I was going to say "rub my fingers on some nice wood", which I actually typed innocently, but realized just before I posted what kind of ribbing that would get in a community like this ;))

20. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

'I like touching nicely grained boards with my...salad fingers'