Just made my very 1st slingshot... (Aluminium Rambone)

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by joejoe4games, Jul 14, 2014.

1. joejoe4games

joejoe4games New Member

so I wanted a slingshot for quite a while and recently started playing around with melting aluminium so I decided to try myself at making a cast aluminum Rambone Slingshot...

pics:
    https://www.theslingshotforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13351&stc=1&d=1405380806
    https://www.theslingshotforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13352&stc=1&d=1405380806
    https://www.theslingshotforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13353&stc=1&d=1405380806

As you can see It isn't quite symmetrical (I was a little bit hasty with the hot wire cutter) but I think it turned out rather good considering it is my 1st ever slingshot and aluminium cast... :D
    I hope I can get some rubber bands this week to try it out.

now a question to the more experienced slingshot builders out there:
    how round do I need to make the edge the rubber is going to be on so that I don't damage it ?

P.s. this is also my 1st ever post on this forum so don't be mad if something isn't the way it should be

P.P.s sorry for the bad images I had to take them with my smartphone since my camera just ran out of juice :-(

Attached Files:

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Looks like a Rambone to me. Great work!

-Wild Bill

3. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Looks good. You can always file and sand it even and smooth. Nothing says it has to be precisely the dimensions on Jörg's drawing.

4. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Those porosity holes can be burnished to close them up a little. You'll need a dremel tool and an old tool bit for it that isn't any good any more. cut the head of the bur or whatever off of the shaft of the bur. now you have the rod.

You heat the rod with a small torch about 2/3 from one end until it can be bent slightly. This then is used in the rotary chuck with the longer end chucked at low rpms to slap the metal towards the holes to mash the metal over them, just before finish sanding.

It's also good to go in 2 directions when burnishing metal.

The porosity can also be lessened with aluminum flux before pouring. I think "No Salt" or potassium Chloride can be used as aluminum flux.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  5. joejoe4games

joejoe4games New Member

@buckshot500 thank you... using a dremel tool is a great idea, I'll try this out tomorrow :)

6. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Looks good! Nice work.;)

7. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Looks much better than any of my lost foam casting attempts, I seem to consistently fail at the "melting" part, though my wire cutter isn't great either... Anyway promising start, look forward to seeing more!

8. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Very cool! The forktips don't need to be very round, but be sure to make them smooth.

9. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

The tips must be very smooth or else your rubber wont last long.

10. FilipNilssob

FilipNilssob Lactose is my Kryptonite

I think it's good to change the designs to fit your hand! and loks way better than my first slingshot!

11. Gniaffron

Gniaffron Junior Member

12. TheDaddy187

TheDaddy187 Administrator

welcome to our forum,
    your rambone is brilliant... rounding off your fork tips will increase rubber life, though you will want them as smooth as possible...

if this is your very first slingshot, im looking forward to what the future holds

keep up the good work

TD

13. Jeb

Jeb Baba Hunter

Nice work, joejoe. Heck of a first slingy!

14. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

First slingshot? Amazing!

Bit of sanding, bit of polishing and that is really to shoot!

15. joejoe4games

joejoe4games New Member

Attached Files:

16. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Nice work, that looks good!