Just Done, but...

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by iranzo87, Aug 20, 2013.

1. iranzo87

iranzo87 Member

I stand,
    I am new to the forum, Spanish (my English is not very good) and I would like to show my latest creation and simultaneously ask, as I can get that glow in the wood so nice to get joerg??

thanks

Attached Files:

2. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Very nice slingshot :)

J

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Nice one, amazing wood color contrast. If you want o make the slingshot shine, you should check posts about sanding the slingshot and finishing possibilities!

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hello, welcome! A very nice slingshot, great work!
    If you want that glow, try and polish the wood with 0000 grade steel wool. It is very, very fine and will work great with oil finishes.

5. Brazilviking

0000 grade steel wool...I have to google this!:confused:

6. Brazilviking

7. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

very nice slingshot! welcome iranzo87!

i'm not good in explaining things in english but as brazilviking said, it's mostly about sanding. you'll have to be a lot more patient than me. the more time you put into sanding from coarser to finest grit, the glossier it will be after 1-... coatings, sanding it again and polishing it. 1-2 times making it wet, letting it dry and sanding it with the finest grit before coating will remove all the last uneven parts and fine woodfibres that stand up again. there are a lot of varnishings you can use for the finish, but it's better someone else will describe them (yacht varnish, polyurethane, oils, wax, superglue, epoxy, ...).

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

BV, you want the finest steel wool you can get, scrubbers can be a bit coarse sometimes. Iranzo, good finish starts with sanding. stay on roughest till you see no marks from tools then proceed to lighter grit, keep on like this till you get to oil and steel wool as will said. BTW, welcome to the asylum:D.

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

BV, its even lighter than dish cleaning pads.
    Oh, and keep steel wool away from plywood projects! I've had that cause big problems!

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

You explain things in English a million times better than I could in German! I might be able to ask politely for a beer, but that's it!

11. iranzo87

iranzo87 Member

Thanks to all for the tips, I have to try them when I can.
    Looking for a product appears in google, polyurethane, you think that give luster to the wood?

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Well, it will provide a really glossy look like glass. I can't really say that it will improve the luster. That is usually done by polishing and oiling. But either technique will give a nice finish, just depends on what you want

13. Brazilviking

Easy, guys! I'm not using bombril on slingshots. I just had no idea what the word wool coul mean, and after googleing it, i found that it was a simple stuff! Funny!

14. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

A very handsome slingshot indeed.

The glossiness of polyurethane might detract from the deep-down lustre in the wood. The highlights of reflected shine on the top might hide the light reflecting deeper in.

Polyurethane is great for repelling water and giving stuff a candy-coated "wet" look.

15. iranzo87

iranzo87 Member

Thank you all, I will try to keep the wood as it is, WOOD.

PD: Next I'll try the polyethylene. lol