Just Curious...Flying?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Withak, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with flying with a slingshot in your carry on bags - is it allowed? Or would it have to be secured in a checked bag like a firearm? If you can carry one on board (which I kind of suspect is a no no), would it have to be separated from the bands?

What do you think folks? I may be travelling for work soon and thought I might bring one along for fun. I just don't like the thought of putting it in a checked bag where it may mysteriously 'disappear'.

2. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Make a slingshot that looks like a hairbrush, the rubber and pouch will look like the drawstring of your toiletry kit bag:D

Seriously, I wish I knew the answer to this one.

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Although it is absurd, I am sure there is a rule against carrying a shooter in the carry on bag. I would check the TSA website to be sure however. There should be a list of items which are restricted. Its also good entertainment, reading that list. Do you know dynamite is not allowed on planes? Come on, really??:D

4. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

A friend bought a slingshot at a market when he was in Egypt once. I suppose the customs look at them as toys or souvenirs. Still, I didn't dare buy one when I was in Poland.

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Yes, I did consult that list (oh, how I do so love to read government rules and regulations - such fun!) but I didn't find slingshots specifically addressed. The reason I ask is they make the statement at the top of that list that whether or not you can carry an item is dependent on your destination and the restrictions there - for example, even if you check your AR, it would be illegal to carry a 30-round magazine into NY. But they also say it's pretty much up to their discretion. So there you go - bureaucratic double-speak. Basically, if we decide you can't carry it, you can't. After losing some of my expensive tech screwdrivers a few years ago (which are now allowed, BTW) I forgot I had in my bag, I like to be sure of these things before I travel.

Some prohibited items include bow and arrow, hockey sticks and spear guns. Though they make a point that snow globes (unless otherwise prohibited) are allowed :) Oh, and so are ice skates - tell me those couldn't be used as a weapon.

I'm thinking with bows and arrows and spear guns being prohibited, that perhaps slingshots would be as well. They are just not specifically listed, nor are traditional slings - no officer, that's just my paracord eye patch ;) I'm surprised they did all the work to make this list, but left those out.

There are no restrictions on latex bands or leather pieces, so you could certainly carry various components to assemble at your destination. Assuming they don't confiscate your fork - unless it doesn't appear to be a fork. I see no mention of steel balls, glass marbles or stones in the list. Maybe a two-piece fork that could be reassembled?

And yes, I find the list amusing myself. If anyone is not already aware, you cannot carry on a vehicle airbag :eek: Shocking.

If you'd like to see the list for yourself, you can find it here:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Gotta love the government!

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

You know, I'll bet BrazilViking could travel with those nice pieces of 'medical equipment' and have some nice shooters to assemble at his destination.:D

7. EnesK

EnesK Call me the boss

i once went to turkey and no shooting objects where allowed

Enes

8. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

When I was 16, I wento to Orlando (usa) and bought an arm brace slingshot, brought it back to Brazil and still have it. I think that it depends on where you are going and where you come from. Taking it without the bands attached would be a demonstration of good will.... And not on the handbag....
    Maybe Joerg knows a good answer for this question. I bet that he traved a lot and carried his slingshots.

My metal pieces can be dismounted to disguise the slingshot, but they also can be saw as a bomb!!!!!

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

etrain, if you're worried at all you can always send it to a nearby ups store or fedex kinko's. many people do this with firearms to prevent theft/damage by angry baggage workers.

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Good point. We sometimes ship my daughter's toys ahead to our destination so we don't have to try and pack a bunch of extra stuff to keep her busy. That's a good thought.

11. BrPio

BrPio .

I got a friend who is a TSA security agent. He told me, "If you get caught with one, you will be questioned and labeled as a terrorist suspect. The FBI will run a background check on you. Possible jail time. Than could get banned from the airline." So I'm thinking no slingshots on a plane here in the US.

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Interesting. If they're that concerned about them (I'm not surprised they are), it sure would be nice if they added them to their list of prohibited items. Thanks for the info.

13. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hi Mike

"thinks TBG smells better than roses"- would U agree it smells like cocoa?

why don´t you just put the slingshot in your suitcase?

14. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

this made get up out of bed to sniff TBG, it does smell like cocoa, at least a little

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I guess I just don't trust the folks that handle the bags. I know a number of folks that have had items mysteriously 'disappear' from their bags, even though everything else is there. I don't know about outside the US, but in the US, even if you lock your suitcase, it's required to be with a lock that the TSA/Security folks can use their key to open. So, I don't consider my suitcase secure for anything I value. Clothes and toiletries, okay, anything else, not so much.