Just an idea

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Valhallanow, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Valhallanow

Valhallanow New Member

Hi all,
    My sons and I have recently stumbled across the slingshot channel on YT & we have been addicted since. I cannot wait to embark on a project; I have a few questions though.

I saw one of Joerg's steel box type slingshots which incorporated rollers on the top, which had the effect of shortening the length of the band and effectively increasing the power. My questions are; do you think it is feasible to incorporate the same roller system into a medieval crossbow design, has anyone tried it already, & what would the likely drawbacks be?

Regards VN

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hello and welcome! Glad to have you with us. This sounds like a good project, I would have loved building a project like this with my dad as a kid!
    I did some searching here on the forum and I think I found exactly what you are looking for

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5/mixed-up-bullpup-medieval-style-crossbow-28486/

I hope this is a good start for you! If you have any questions, feel free to ask and someone will be glad to help!

3. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Welcome. I like your idea already.

I haven't yet built a launcher with rollers to increase effective draw to compare, but I believe bands last longer without the rollers. They steal energy also, so some of Joergs designs incorporate ball bearings.

Still probably the best compromise to get the energy you want and still have a reasonable overall length.
    Just don't try to change the axis of rotation--from what Ive read it won't work unless sideways to gravity. (Like in the pics in that excellent link Will found.)

Wishing you the best luck--please post some pics of the finished launcher, it sounds like it will be a cool one.

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

VN, that idea is innovative and ballsy...I dig it! Hope you and your boys can figure everything out and show us your destructo toy soon. BTW welcome to the asylum...uh forum;).

5. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I believe the compound crossbow already covers that.

6. Obelix

Obelix Delete

Welcome to the Forum.

7. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

8. iranzo87

iranzo87 Member

Welcome!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013