Joerg's Monster design

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by studer1972, Sep 5, 2013.

1. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I have some free time this weekend, and I want to build a slingshot like Joerg's record breaking Monster. I have many questions before I hit Rockler and Fleet Farm.

1. my choices for the baseboard are pine 1x4 or 1/2" baltic birch multiplex. I can laminate the multiplex in 2 or even 3 layers if needed. Joerg and CEZ's platforms both look about 3/4" of solid wood. Will pine 1x4 be strong enough for a 36" platform? The pine 1x4 should be lighter than even the 1/2" multiplex, right?

2. How hard is it to bend and drill screw holes on steel bars like CEZ used? Alternately, I'm thinking of disassembling my Saunders Falcon II for its fork, band clips, and handle. Then I'll need to buy another one, or maybe a Hawk.

3. Would counterweights at the non fork end of the platform help? I notice stabilizers are generally attached at the fork end (Barnett Pro Diablo and Cobra, Trumark Bat and FSX-2000, [email protected]'s starship).

4. I plan on using a strap at the elbow area of the platform to stabilize the arm brace and a foot rope (another Joerg idea) to prevent pull up of the fork end.

5. If I go the Falcon II route, will fasteners like this anchored with 1/2" long screws be adequate?
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-Steel-Clamp-Loom-66518/202209871#.UijY3I21F_w

Any input before I build it this weekend?

2. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Hi studer

1. My platform was 18mm pine board but it was too heavy and I have routed it down a lot ( it may be even 9mm at the thinnest point now), didn't break yet:)

2. About the forks, I didn't drill them, those are bookshelf mounting thingamajigs that I bought at the hardware store but if you want to make your own then bending and drilling steel is easy if you have a vice and metal drills.

3. Stabilizers are not needed for this design, it's heavy enough to stabilize itself.

4. A strap would make it even clumsier, when you pull back on the bands the butt-end presses against your arm anyway.

3. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Thanks for the voice of experience, CEZ!

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Good to see you, Studer! Looking forward to checking out your project!

5. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Went out to Home Depot on the way to dinner with my wife last night and bought the needed parts. 36" 1x4 pine board, fork from my Saunders Falcon II, aluminum wire guides to attach the fork, and some closet rod doweling for the handle. The wire guide attaching the fork to the very end of the board was a little weak, so I re-enforced it with some wire. I also attached a bracket to the bottom by the fork for the stomp rope. I attached the handle with Titebond III and a 1 5/8" drywall screw (wider threads). Just waiting for the glue to dry before banding it up. Was originally going to call it "Mons Meg" after the mighty bombard at Edinburgh Castle, but decided to leave that for an actual Scot. I named it "Long Tom" after the US WWII artillery piece.

I probably won't get to try it until next weekend.

Attached Files:

6. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Some more pics and a question: is this a reasonable bandset for .50 lead? I got it from the band calc, so it should be good.

Your ammo weighs 12.12 gramms.
    Cut the bands 30.74 cm long.
    Band width at the fork is 3.04 cm.
    Band width at the pouch is 1.21 cm.
    You need 2 bands per side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. CEZ

CEZ New Member

I don't like that much tapering, bands don't last very long. I usually go for 3:2 or 2.5:2

Now I see why you wanted that strap, maybe not such a bad idea. I shoot mine gangsta style and the armbrace is shaped so that it encloses my arm.

8. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

very nice so far!

9. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Nice but the name!

"Fat Bertha" would have been nice.. :)

and I wonder if that thin steel fork aint a bit too weak?- take care of yourself!-

and please post shooting that "Monster"!- guess it´ll be impressive!

Long regards!,

Be

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  10. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

If that dowel is not strong enough drill a hole halfway through the board and put the dowel in with glue and then screw it. 1 screw may just be torn out in the right circumstance

11. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Thanks for the feedback. The forks are 1/4" (~6mm) steel, built for heavy bands. The fork attachment is more what worries me, thinking of adding a couple zip ties, just in case. The dowel may get a sturdy bolt for reinforcement before next weekend, too. So far both have survived being pulled on manually. "Dicke Bertha" was on the list of name candidates I drew up. Germany and Germanic myth/folklore provided a lot of the names on the list. :)

(I'm part German as well as part Scottish, but I figured I'd leave the German names for German slingshot builders same as I figured leaving "Mons Meg" for Scots.)

German 800mm railway gun Schwerer Gustav 1941 Heavy/Great Gustav
    German 800mm railway gun Dora 1941
    German 735mm bombard Faule Mette 1411 Lazy Mette
    German 520mm bombard Faule Grete 1409 Lazy Grete
    German bombard Grose Bochse 1408 Big Gun
    German 280mm cannon Kanone Greif 1524
    German 419mm short naval gun Dicke Bertha 1914 Thick/Fat Bertha (Big Bertha)
    German 380mm railway gun Langer Max 1918 Long Max
    German 150mm multi chamber gun Fleissiges Lieschen 1944 Busy Lizzy
    mythology mythology Jotun mythology norse
    mythology mythology Jormungandr mythology norse
    mythology mythology Fenrir mythology norse
    weapon weapon Godentag weapon
    German generic Kanone generic canon

12. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Having learned a couple lessons building Long Tom, I made a better looking and more refined copy of Joerg's Monster. This one is nameless, but I tried to make it look like an old musket, using walnut stain on the pine board and brass colored metal parts. Made this as a gift for a friend. Hope to try it out using 1" steel and 3/4" lead this Friday. It uses Joerg's foot lanyard and a rope to tie the butt end to your forearm. Nearly 22" of extension. 8.5" of untapered 2.25" TBG with a pouch made of an old belt. Dakka! :)

Attached Files:

13. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Hey, studer! Long time no see!!!!

14. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Thanks BV, had an exam to study for (failed), then work got busy and weekends not worked were spent up north. Hunting season this month, but things should settle down in December. :)

15. Otees

Otees Another Member

I love the name 'long tom'