It's Friday - How about some off-topic wierdness?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Withak, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Okay, waaaayyyyy off topic today.

In live just outside of Portland, OR, which is known for many things, not the least of which is the slogan "Keep Portland Weird". Portland is well known as a place for counter-culture. You can find just about anything you are looking for here if it's different from the 'mainstream'. Portland's culture is heavily infused with music, art, entertainment, food, politics, etc. There are plenty of people that like to be just a little different from everyone else. Of course, that's not unique just to Portland, but this latest trend, which appears to be starting here is a bit more disturbing to me:

[​IMG]

I know many people who are heavily tattooed and pierced and for the most part, it doesn't bother me. This one though, I'm not so crazy about. Why? As far as I'm concerned, you can pretty much do what you want to and with your body. But I really don't want to watch you chewing your food, it's just gross. We all have a need to express ourselves, and people do that in many different ways. Do we have to expose every part of our body's various functions to do this? I still consider it impolite if people chew with their mouths open, which is probably why this bothers me.

So, what do you think? Am I out of line for thinking this is a bit over-the-top on the gross-o-meter? Or am I just being a fuddy-duddy? It does make me wonder what's next? A window looking into our chest? Or maybe a pair of pants with a window over the 'gentleman's vegetables'? Yeah, some things should probably just stay covered in public :)

Oh, and yes, I am aware that 'lip plates' go back a long way in Africa. It's the open/clear window that's the new piece that is bugging me.

2. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Scrolled

I read your post; -scrolled the page to not let the kids
    see the pics. And to not have to see this.
    Kids are pretty relieable bout such things; - this would be hard to
    explain,- to them it´s non-sense (For me too!)

Be

3. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Everyone has the right to do with his body,what he want.
    Piercing is ok,as long the health insurance has not to pay for medical operations to rebuild it. I'm knowing some people,which were not happy with there tattoos and asked the health insurance for help. They didn't pay for it.

4. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Here are two pics of Greg Valentino, who wanted arms impossible toget even with steroids... so he injected stuff into his muscle to make them look bigger.

Eventually everything got infected and it led to desaster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. slingpit

I wonder,how they would drink beer.
    Like a fountain.:D

6. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

i must agree with sling pit that every body has to right to do with there body what they want as long as they are not hurting some one else,.....

but come-on man, WTF is your major malfunction numbnuts...

7. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Isn't civilization supposed to be moving forward? These people while completely within their rights to do it are morons. A few funny, if a bit disgusting thoughts, how do they keep their saliva in their mouths? How do they go snorkeling? And does that make shaving difficult?
    Conclusion
    Grossometer rating 3.5 out of 10
    Stupidometer rating 11 out of 10

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I don't debate whether people have the 'right' to do these things, but I do question the 'common sense', or perhaps the lack thereof, of some of these choices. Having a 'right' doesn't mean that people shouldn't attempt to exercise at least some control for the good of the rest of the folks around them. Honestly, I think any person should consider the effect their choices may have on others who don't necessarily share their love of the bizarre or shocking. We seem to be on a never-ending path to try and 'top' the other person. Remember when everyone thought that Alice Cooper, Ozzy Ozbourn, Kiss and others were so 'shocking'? Not so by today's standards. Top the previous person with something shocking and the next person will find a way to top you. I just don't get it. Probably because I don't feel the need to prove whatever point these folks seem to think they need to prove.

Again, I simply say that if you choose to do something to your body, make sure it doesn't make the rest of us have to look at something that an otherwise polite society would rather not see. Chewing food is a gross process, I'd rather not look at it through a lip window :confused:

And honestly, what, really, would be the difference if I wanted to put an open window into my pants? Shocking? Of course? Illegal? Maybe not. I wonder how soon it will be before someone tries this out. Coming from the city that famously allows the 'Naked Bike Ride' every year, it's probably not far away. I will say this though, if I want to see a sausage in a window, I'll go to the butcher, I'd rather not see it from my co-worker ;)

9. slingpit

No comment.
    [ame]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq3QmtV8vT0[/ame]

10. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

First off I write most tattooing, and piercings off as pure vanity.

As to common sense, a barbell on your tongue has to be proof that your lacking.
    Putting a window into your mouth, ROFL, you not only don't have any, you can't get there from where you are.

It is your body, your choices, if you annoy me badly enough I'll ignore you, and anything you say, or leave.

If you want to do something with your money find something constructive!
    That being said my son in law has several tat's, and piercings. Nice enough guy but IMO a bit self absorbed and not all there. But as they say you can choose your friends and not your family.

If you really want to be noticed that badly, try carrying a big "Look at ME! " sign. It at least you can put in the garage when you don't want the attention.

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That was my first question, but just to be clear, these particular models are not an open ring, but have a piece of clear material that keeps your bodily fluids from constantly dribbling down your chin. It really is just a 'window' into your mouth. Oh what fun :p Ooooo, maybe someone could do one into the side of their head, that way people can watch their brain in action! ;)

12. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

I was thinking about getting that modification, but then figured I'd have to spend even more time flossing my teeth than I do now. So I opted for voluntary angioplasty instead

13. KnuckieG

KnuckieG New Member

1. Disgusting 2. Unhygienic 3. Put it on their heads so we can see how small their brains are lol! Tell 'em it's like trepanning living with an 80% high they'll love it :D

Reminds me of Cows with Port Holes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY4QkhwQMRA

A cannulated cow can be referred to a cow that has been surgically fitted with a cannula. A cannula acts as a porthole-like device that allows access to the rumen of a cow. This allows extensive research and analysis of the digestive system of a cow that otherwise could not have taken place. The practice can be traced back to as early as the 1920s.
    A forage analysis can take place due to the access of the rumen through a cannula. Once the cannula is surgically placed in the cow, a cow is then allowed to graze for a certain period of time. Once the allotted time is up, the material that is located in the cannula is collected and tested. This analysis shows producers which forages are optimal for the use of their individual operation.

[​IMG]

At least this has an ethical purpose in relieving "Bloat" and as a Dog Owner who lost his best friend to bloat God I wish I had had one to save my GSD.

14. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Well, I don't know what to say ;)

It would be cool if you could just reach in and grab some filet mignon :)

15. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I'm open to most things, but sometimes you look at trends and think I don't belong on this planet anymore!
    I'd be quite interested to see what kind of employment you could actually get after having this done though! I wouldn't hire someone with that in their face.

16. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I'm open to most things, but sometimes you look at trends and think I don't belong on this planet anymore!
    I'd be quite interested to see what kind of employment you could actually get after having this done though! I wouldn't hire someone with that in their face.

17. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

If anyone did that I don't think they would have much 'brain action' but what brains they do have would probably be cooked if they stood in the sun too long

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Owww! Brain Burn!!! :eek:

19. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Hmmm, I have a half inch hole in my earlobe (done traditionally during a visit to Kenya 15 years ago, Im not a hipster :p ) and did, up until recently have 4 12ga ear piercings and a 10ga lip piercing. Maybe Ill stay quiet on this one...........

Oh, have a Google of a guy called 'Pauly Unstoppable' :eek:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  20. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I've made lot's of surgical "cleaning" of infected muscles that some "strong" guys injected to become taugh......
    As a doctor I should say only.....stupidity.

But I've faced many big muscular guys as a martial artist. Some of my oponents mad my wife close her eyes befor the fight and some fellow partners say: "Ok, now Raul is going to regret joining the championship"......
    Most of you have seen me in my videos. I'm not enourmous, muscular type dude. I have what we call here as "beer belly":D.
    But effective slim muscles beat any hypertophic mass. So, at 34 years old I managed to defeat many youger huge guys. Taekwondo or Jiu jitsu. The bigger they are, the bigger they fall and bigger is their pain.

As for the piercings......I think it is ugly. It can get infected.....and it is a GREAT weak spot to attack.......:D

I'm a practical guy, so I can't see utility for piercings...(sorry, Angelic scars, jus my point here!):D