It arrived!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by noah013, Jan 28, 2014.

1. noah013

noah013 Member

A couple of minuts ago I got a package. I opened it and found 16 bottles of super glue inside, and a letter. This package came from VWscooby.

In my thread about one of my slingshots, he suggested a super glue (CA glue) finish. I said that I can't find CA glue and he replied he would send me some.

Thank you very much James! I'm very happy with it!

Thanks, Noah013

ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1390918949.022121.jpg

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Cool. Nice gift from a good guy. I've finished several slingshots with CA. It's a nice and easy way to finish a piece. Now it's time to get to work!

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

not normal..

Feels good to see this happen again and again!
    .. and again!

:)

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Glad it got there ok and didnt turn up as a solid lump of paper, plastic and bubble wrap!

Like Withak said, time to get to it! :)

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Nice! Scoobs is a good dude:). Now your slingshot will be "shinny";).

6. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

CA seems to do amazing things to bamboo...

and other wood:)

7. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

CA is not for gluing layers together, its used as a varnish (basically). If you are looking to layer plyboard, epoxy is king.

9. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Oh... that explains a lot thanks!

10. noah013

noah013 Member

Indeed. Super glue contains cyanoacrylate which give a nice glossy finish. It normally is used to fix little things like a plastic actionfigure.

Epoxy bonds two (big) materials. This is the stuff most of us use to glue wood to wood or wood to metal. However, you can also use some quality woodglue to glue wood to wood.

I finished a slingshot with the superglue. It is amazing! I really like it but I have to practice a little bit more cause there are some spots that aren't nice. Fortunately, the slingshot was pretty white so the ugly spots can't be seen very well.

When I sanded it with 600 sandpaper and later on 400 and 600 wet, it didn't look like in the tutorial by simple shot. In the tutorial the sling was very mat, cause there was a lot of gluedust (don't know what it is named). I sanded it very soft cause I was afraid the finish would be runuid by sanding the glue of, and there were some spots that didn't shine in the light. Is this normal? Or do I do something wrong?

Also I used some turtle wax car polish. This stuff is a little bit blue, and the nice white slingshot also turned up a bit blue after polishing... I didn't notice any more shine. What is the stuff you use? Can it work with toothpaste or the dremel 421 accesoire (polishing paste for metal and plastic)?

The sling isn't so shiny as a few with ca glue finish which I saw here, can I do something to make it more glossy?

Thanks, Noah013

11. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

Simple wood glue is good too and doesnt make a mess and is cheaper.

12. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

After 600 you can go up to wet 1000 grit and that should be very shiny. The polishing stuff at the end will only enhance the gloss. It wont make something matt glossy.

When you start sanding, it will take away the peaks first, and then the rest. If the peaks are too high to begin with there won´t be any glue left on there and not be as glossy as the rest. So you would need another layer.

13. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This could start a whole thread by itself! I am personally a big fan of Gorilla brand epoxy. It creates a very strong bond very quickly, but you don't have much 'pot life.' After the batch is mixed, you gotta make like a baby and head out!

14. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I bonded (small) pieces of wood together with CA glue....worked fine for me.
    But for wood/wood lamination I would tend to wood glue

15. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Yup, this pretty much says it all! The other reason you may get a dull patch is moisture (from breath or your finger) in one of the layers. Trial and error Im afraid, my first attempt was just like that. Mostly dull with a couple of shiny bits! Its not all lost though, whats been put on can be sanded off!

As far as polishing goes I use Autoglym Paint Restorer. Its relatively cheap, non-coloured and fine grade. Metal polish (Brasso etc) works well on bare wood but I found it a bit harsh for CA.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014