The Slingshot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lord Of Crows
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at these dual coat hooks and think it might do for a lightweight shooter... they are rated to hold a max of 35lb but I think that rating is set lower than they could really handle for legal reasons... plus I would have the ball-end pointing towards the shooter so the tension on the zinc casting will be less... I think I will use light bands on it anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Hardw...F8&refRID=164R6RMR9X052R8219NW#productDetails

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Simple answer:

No (in case it´s cast metal)

.. because of that eye thing!..

a coat dropping to the floor is no big deal if it breaks..

·
2,513 Posts
The problem with zinc alloys is not that they are weak its that they dont bend. Something like aluminium or steel will bend before snapping or at least show stress marks/cracks. Zinc alloy wont. It will look fine, fine, fine, SNAP! They can also be weakened by impact (dropping, fork hit etc) and there is no way of telling if they will snap after a stress test.

Its a great shape though, if you could find one in stainless that would be great.

·
Thread Hijacker
3,375 Posts
If you find one like that made from solid stainless, it will work just fine. But one made from zinc...not a good idea. I've had many pieces of metal in my eyes over the years, and trust me, it isn't the least bit enjoyable!

·
Registered
388 Posts
The forum warned me about these hooks when I first wanted to try it. I took their advice and I think you should too. It seems to be a seductive idea that keeps popping up. That's a good thing though as it warns off some that might have done it without asking.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
When in doubt, lock base in vice, attach strong rope to single arm, stand well back, put your weight into it.

Does it bend? Does it spring back? Does it break off?

I have 2 slingshots that I have made from hardware. Both are steel, not zinc. (Hacksaw test, saw makes totally different sound on steel than zinc, or soft alloy) Both were vice tested, and passed. Both have light bands only.

You do always have to remember, hardware on the pouch side fly's away from you. Hardware on the forks side if it breaks fly's at your eye.

So test it, but if you use it ask yourself if its worth an eye if you guess wrong!

When in doubt, figure out a way to safety it. I recently did this with an extreme PVC build (1/2 split formed into V forks, then flattened at base. I was concerned about it breaking so I ran a string from one tip, down backside, around the base and back up the other side. When it broke after 6 draws the string saved my face.

Its back shooting now with a strip of 14400 lb Kevlar embedded in Epoxy up the back side of each fork.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts