Is this a Wristbrace or a Lanyard?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by mvd, Jun 5, 2013.

1. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I am not sure if this contraption with an oversized pouch fitted to the lanyard is still a lanyard or a wristbrace (which would be illegal).

so the question is Lanyard (keep the leather) or Wristbrace (take the leather of)?

Attached Files:

2. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

MVD, search through a few online dictionaries.

Generally a lanyard would be defined as:
    "a cord or strap to hold something (as a knife or a whistle) and usually worn around the neck"

Maybe Jörg, or someone familiar with Germany's laws and legal terminology can shed some light on this for you. I wouldn't want you to get into any trouble over there.

3. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

Just a quick rush of **** to the brain, but how about this idea to skirt the law:
    Have a loop like you have as a "bracelet" and a round post/stud protruding from the bottom of the handle. Maybe even an "L" shape with the leg pointing forward. The fashionable accessory "bracelet" could have a small loop in it. Should the "L" "Hook" "accidentally" get stuck through the loop it would "act" as a "brace"......by accident, of course. You could slip the "hook" back out of the loop once you "notice" it "accidentally" slipped in there, being the good, law abiding Bundes you try to be..... :D
    (something like those parra-cord bracelets are would be quite suitable....er, fashionable.......

4. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

German law prohibits arm braces ("Armstützen"). A pure lanyard does not touch the arm, just the hand. The law further says that it must be designed "to achieve a highest possible kinetic energy". A lanyard, however, is designed as a safety device so you can't drop the slingshot.

Your leather patch is getting very close to the definition of an arm brace, though. How do you explain the patch?

I think it would depend on the judge. A bit risky.

5. Moin moin,
    eher nicht erlaubt auszulegen....
    Warum?
    Es wird ein teil des Druckes - bei dir Zugs .... also sagen wir mal drehbewegung der Zwille auf einen weiteren Teil des Armes (Hand) geführt..... Somit eine Unterstützung, also sowas wie eine Stütze...... also eine Armunterstützung oder kurz Armstütze....!

Nee, würde ich lassen.
    Die Frage ist, brauchst du das bei den Bändern überhaupt? Oder nimm andere Bänder? Welche Geschussgewicht hasst du?
    Sag mal, aus welcher Ecke von Hessen kommst du? Ich östlich von FFM!

6. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Thank you for your replies.
    To be clear, I don't want to break the law, just came to my mind and assembled it. I will definitely remove it.

@Thorsten Nein brauch ich eigentlich nicht, wie gesagt: gedacht, gebaut :). Ich komm nördlich von Frankfurt.

7. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Thank you. I figured you'd know the answer to that right away. Our laws vary from state to state. Fortunately Arizona doesn't have to deal with any of that -- yet.