Is civil unrest a good blueprint for the ZA?

Discussion in 'Zombie / Prepping related stuff' started by VWscooby, Feb 15, 2014.

1. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Now, I'm going to be careful here as I don't want to start a political debate (they never end well on the internet) but recent events around the world have given us pictures of serious civil unrest. When a generally unarmed population comes up against well armed and protected riot police the slingshot becomes the weapon of choice.

Most of us here would like to be behind Joerg in the event of a zombie apocolypse but most people 'outside' that you talk to don't acknowledge the slingshot as a valid tool.

If you take mass civil unrest and riots as a blueprint for the ZA (which I think they are, after all supply stores will be well protected and people will be panicked and hungry) then the slingshot makes a lot of sense. What do people think?

Pictures are from the Ukraine and taken from news sites

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I would have to guess that unless the well trained , well armed folks guarding the food are drunk, they will not be like zombies.

I think a ss is far better against mindless hunger than against modern tools and tactics of war.

I just hope for a good place to hide in either event. The fact that I'm not digging a bunker in my yard shows me how seriously I expect either event---i will be eaten early:eek:

3. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I "Cautiously" agree with you.

Slingshots are the peoples tool. If it gets bad enough, people get frustrated with those in control. Eventually some teenager wanders in, gets caught up in the moment, pulls out his catapult, and whacks a (Insert name here____________________) in the head. People go home looking for rubber and forks.

Easily hidden, can be put together out of non magnetic parts. I shudder to mention this, as I had sort of a vision shortly after I joined the slingshot channel.

Man walks onto plane, plane takes off, man walks up to cockpit, quietly demands to see the captain. Pulls out a slingshot. All the planes passengers, and crew become hostages, with a bit of wood, some rubber, and a few marbles. It has the potential to be deadly, and it is undetectable.

Could play out the same way in a courthouse in a trial.

Slingshots have the potential to be the ultimate undetectable weapon.

Wood, PVC, rubber, and marbles with the potential power to kill someone.

That is heady stuff there.

Joerg is currently working on an "accurate" football thrower. How far do you think it would throw a molotov cocktail?

A block? That is far enough to not be seen by those at the cocktail impact point. It would only be seen by those a block away who have no idea whats happening. If it was in the back of a truck would anyone even notice?

Scary scary stuff.

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I think the point is that, given a desperate situation, you can find a way to make a weapon out of just about any materials you can find. A slingshot is obviously a great choice, and would certainly be up there if firearms and airguns weren't available. The big problems is whether or not you can find the necessary latex, if you can't, then you're going to have to come up with another idea. But as long as the materials you need are available, it's a great choice for self-defense in a societal collapse type of situation.

I'm with Mike, I haven't started digging my bunker yet, but that's mostly because I don't want to risk hitting the septic tank. That's no way to live after the apocalypse :eek:

5. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Joerg has demonstrated slingshots powered by latex gloves and condoms, IIRC.

If you really want an insurgency/riot weapon, I think the Palestinians have demonstrated the effectiveness of the traditional sling with stones and bottles. Just need some rope, twine, or other cordage and it will throw anything you can fit in the pouch. The fratboy "waterballoon thrower" (3 person giant slingshot with big surgical tubing and a plunger cap for the pouch) could serve as the heavier artillery. The biggest thing is how long you can piss off the police/military before they start shooting. Guns conquered the world for a reason. If at least some of the armed folks aren't willing to switch sides, your riot/insurrection will be crushed.

On another topic, I couldn't figure out why nobody in McCarthy's extremely depressing "The Road" didn't use the ancient sling. Bows and arrows take skill to make. Slingshots need industrial elastic. A band armed with slings and pikes would beat the snot out of that pike and flail group the father and son encountered.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkej-peqQDY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW_RWRKU93o[/ame]

6. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Even if a couple hundred people fired 3/4" lead balls from 3 groups each group firing their volley separately, providing a constant rain of lead, that probably wouldn't beat a platoon of soldiers with machine guns wearing Kevlar helmets.

Unless the element of surprise could somehow be used.

Still would be nice to be able to make an accurate weapon like a slingshot if that's all you could do. At least you can eat.

7. Ghosth

It depends I think on what your goals are. If you are trying to get those in control to shoot a bunch of unarmed civilians, slingshots would work great. Just make sure your near the back of the crowd and run at the sound of gunfire.

If you think your going to stand toe toe with an armed soldier, your going to lose and end up dead quickly.

But it does I think have great potential for guerrilla warfare, especially if firearms/ammo is hard to find.

Rubber power could also be used to make some devastating booby traps.

8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I am sorry to disagree, and furthermore, be the lone dissenter. I think that a bow is, perhaps, more effective in this situation.

9. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

How is a bow more effective than an ancient style sling (not a slingshot)? Bows, and slingbows, are more effective that a slingshot, but about on par with the old sling. The Romans grabbed up every slinger they could get. Both are harder to learn than a crossbow or slingshot, but making bows and arrows isn't easy. Making a sling is and ammo is everywhere.

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^ I wasn't referring to the ancient slings. Those have certainly proved their effectiveness. I was simply comparing modern slingshots to bows.

11. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

It was always my thought that you use the slingshot to ambush 1 of the armed opposition and take his gear. You use his gun to ambush a small patrol and take their gear and so on. if you have 100 guerrillas doing this in a planned window before they wised up, you can arm a considerable number of freedom fighters and capture a depot. Guerrillas never worry about material and arms. The bad guys have lots. You just gotta take it.

12. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Yes, that has been our rationale as preppers. I love our slingshots and slingbows but the strategy would be to acquire firearms from those who have them as soon as possible. A well placed lobround from a place of concealment should be effective in this.

And i am not too proud to play the hysterical,defenceless , tearful woman until close enough to deploy our 150000 volt stun gun or blade.

13. CJW

CJW New Member

I think you would be better off with a cross bow or compound bow. Since most modern soldiers wear some kind of body armor and Kevlar helmet unless you hit them in the eye with your slingshot all you would be is an target for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Slingshot Forum

14. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

After the apocalypse, guns will rule at first. Much more firepower.

This changes when ammo gets scarce. Scarce things become very valuable. Nobody in post WW2 (1945 and 46) Germany smoked filter cigarettes. Those were far too valuable, became a shadow currency. Same thing will happen with ammo.

People will go back to home made weapons. Slingshots work for a few years, then the rubber goes bad and they will become useless.

Powerful (war) bows and crossbows are hard to make without power tools and modern material (Dacron string, compound limbs). A small bow for hunting rabbits and so on, OK. But actually traps and snares are much more effective than hunting in that regard.

Ten years after the apocalypse, spears and clubs it will be. David slings, sure, but those are so hard to learn that they still won't be popular. David was a sheppard, those guys have a lot of time to kill out in the meadows. Plenty of practice isn't a problem. Hunter/gatherers need their time for finding food.

15. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

I can make a 60lb bow from yew with knifes and sandpaper, atlatl and boltsling are also possible.

16. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Can you also make a bowstring that holds those 60 lb from things you find out in the nature?

Yew is hard to find. If you want to make a god bow from it, you need both the heartwood and the sapwood. This means you have to whittle down a tree trunk with your knife.

17. Ghosth

Joerg you make a good point, but all you really need to find to string a bow is a spool of spiderwire fishing line, or similar. Made of Spectra (Kevlar) with very low stretch, very durable, it wouldn't be that hard to find after SHTF. Any Bass Pro Shop, Cabella's, Gander Mountain will have boxes of it.

As for materials, it is easy to make a bow out of PVC, and you don't have to kill a yew to do it.
    Historically the biggest problem with bows was keeping them and their strings dry.

You are entirely correct about traps and snares for food gathering.

And any of the old projectile weapons took years to master.
    But as you say young men guarding the flocks have lots of time to practice up on the hills.

Leaving the old men in the village to tinker with crossbows and such.

18. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Initially, yes. But ten years after the SHTF, these stores will be picked clean. Quality fishing lines will be highly sought after, more valuable than gold.

Don't forget that such items would no longer be made, everything will be short in supply very quickly.

After ten years, humanity would be back to stone age, plus whatever scavenging from the remains of the industrialized world is still possible.

19. zurk021414

zurk021414 New Member

My thought is that there will be pockets of "tech". Where people have a book or information that allows them to make modern materials with a cottage industry. I had always imagined there was a flint knapper that EVERYONE wanted her points.

20. zurk021414

zurk021414 New Member

An additional grim speculation I have is that we've made fishing stuff for a fairly large population...how long will that stuff last with the 10 per cent that survives?

Gad...just had another grim thought...I've seen some really huge landfills...wonder how long it would take primitives to mine those completely?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014