Interesting new ideas and hello from Savvy

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by savvy, Aug 12, 2013.

1. savvy

savvy New Member

HELLO EVERYBODY

I AM SAVVY AND I AM NEW TO THE FORUM. I HAD A FEW QUESTIONS ABOUT PRESERVING THE LIFE OF THE RUBBER, USING DIFFERENT METHODS TO MAKE THE RUBBER AND HERES MY CONVERSATION WITH JOERG ABOUT THESE THINGS. FEEL FREE TO COMMENT.

Hi Joerg

Thanks very much for your reply. I appreciate it.

I wonder if there are ways to protect the rubber while it is used light a shield to protect from rain and sun etc
    I think you solved that with your shot gun style designs where the rubber is inclosed.

Yeah i think the chain band rubber could look ugly. I suppose it would only work if the rubber bands were thicker and stronger and i guess it would make it too thick to go in the gun design.

Yeah i saw the roman sling. I applaud you for testing the historic designs. And i agree with you about your assessment of the roman style sling which is too inaccurate (though it might have longer range?)

?? How much elasticity is there to a hemp string? I heard they were used for bow strings once? Somebody said linen flax string is better but i have tested neither.

I THINK HAVING A GO AT A SINEW SLINGSHOT WOULD BE A GOOD PROJECT. IF I HAD THE SPACE AND TIME I WOULD TRY IT.

I think it is a really good idea for a zombie movie :D
    Zombies and slings in a post apocalyptic world. Could be a popular film.

?? I am really interested in the idea of using russian dandelion, unfortunately i havent got any seeds.
    I think dandelion rubber production would improve if more seeds were shared around so that would allow lots of different creative people do their own experiments and growing strategies and by multiple methods we'd find the best way and produce the best.
    Just like at the slingshot forum where different people are making different things...

Thats how most great modern plants were created, not by a few individuals keeping it controlled. The modern potato had hundreds of years of breeding among hundreds of different households and families in south america before it was brought to present day standards, same for the other plants....
    To get the dandelion to super large size and efficiency could take a long time without genetic engineering and innovative breeding methods i think.

However id like to have a go and do some experiments with the russian dandelion, but theres little info on the internet. Its like they are keeping in a secret. They are not as generous as you Joerg. You were generous enough to share your slingshot designs with the world and i think thats why you are a slingshot genius. Genius and generosity seem to be connected somehow.

I have some land though and i would grow it if i had some (i have normal common dandelion but i heard its not as good for rubber)
    Also i dont really know how to process the dandelion. What do you do to the dandelion to make rubber out of it?
    I wish there was an easy recipe with step by step instructions...
    I think problems of mass production of dandelion will be solved when the ideas are shared with the masses.
    A problem shared is a problem solved, isn't that so?

Anyway thanks again for your email and your great ideas.

I will do as you suggest and cut and past this message on the forum. Unsure where to post it, might post it in a few places...

Thanks

Wish you well

Paul

2. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

I have no expertise in any of the subjects talked about, but am very interested to hear what you all have to say.

(My name is also) Paul

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hello and welcome Savvy! Glad to have you with us, and you have come to a great place.

4. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Welcome to the forum Paul! As will said, glad to have you here!

5. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

6. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Savvy, as far as I know the Russian dandelion has most of the latex in the roots. You harvest those roots and carefully "skin" them. This is usually done by putting them in a drum with ceramic balls and shake them for a while.

The latex molcules are soluble in water, so you let the skinned roots soak for a few hours. Then the latex will swim on the surface of the container and you can skim them off.

I haven't gotten to that point yet. First I want to make really good rubber bands at home, from latex milk. This is what you would get from the dandelion, too. It needs to be vulcanized.

That process requires chemicals (namely sulfur, non ionic tensides, zinc oxide, and MBT-2) plus curing in an oven.

I have gotten encouring results so far, but nothing that would be good enough for a powerful slingshot.

After I have achieved that goal, I might start working on the dandelion.

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Welcome savvy! this dandelion rubber sounds very interesting!!

8. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Welcome to the Forum :D

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Welcome to the forum paul, a very interesting project. I was thinking about milkweed, does anyone know if it contains latex? I say that because it produces masses of sticky "milk" that looks like it. Maybe a source to try? Other than that, this discussion is above my pay grade:confused:.

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

:D:D
    Yeah, I got really quiet about that part too!
    Vulcanization, Russian Dandelion...???:confused:
    Can I use it to weld pipes together or make a wrench from it?:D

11. savvy

savvy New Member

Hi Everybody

Thanks for your comments and thanks again Joerg for the great info.

Its something id like to experiment with in the future. At present i am working hard to pay for house renovations which at present rate will take about 2 years but after that i will do some experimenting along the lines that we have discussed . I might even try milkweed as you suggest. I might even try the dandylion stems which apparently have some latex in as well.

I wonder how the vulcanisation process goes... Perhaps there is something on utube, i will have a look.

A possible way to strengthen the latex rubber bands could be to have a weave network of flexible fibre which is rubberised over the top.... Hmmm gets me thinking :D

Has anyone tried making a slingshot from the elastic from a pair of elastic bracers that hold up the trousers? It looks quite strong....

Anyhow

Wish you all well

Savvy

12. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    To preserve my bands from breaking too early i put some talcum on it.