Initiated

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Withak, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Well, I guess it's bound to happen to everyone at some point - maybe even considered an initiation of sorts? Had my first hand strike today. I wasn't wearing a glove and had been shooting various types of ammo through a couple different slingshots. I picked up a smaller, inexpensive Chinese import I bought awhile back. I was shooting in my back yard and was shooting at some cans. I picked up a few small rocks from my yard to try them out. I got off some decent shots and ended up with a kind of sharp, angular rock I tried out. Not all of the rocks were round, and I hadn't had any problem with them up to that point. But I did something wrong with this one - maybe my release was off, I don't know. But this one launched right into my hand.

Well, I'm sure many of you already know, that stings. And, because of the edges, I managed to draw just a little blood in the process. I have a feeling it's going to have a nice bruise tomorrow. Guess I learned a lesson about choosing the right ammo and about keeping control of the pouch!

[​IMG]

So, what kind of hits have you all taken? Any really serious damage?

2. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

@etrain16, I could not mark "I like" even it is an interesting topic, but for your bruise and the pain. Sometimes I shoot rounded pebbles, I never use angular rocks because it is known that may happen what passed to you, even with the rounded pebbles I take much care when loading to avoid as much possible asymmetries and the appropriate for the pouch... fortunately I've never received a hand hit and as I shoot with PFS technique I hope I will be safe ... I hope you heal soon ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

3. KnuckieG

KnuckieG New Member

Hey you popped your cherry!!! :D lol! For some reason those cuts hurt an unfeasable amount and I get them regularly even now. Had a weird injury 2 weeks ago I finished my session sat down and my ring finger knuckle started swelling and hurting the next day it was very bruised. I have no idea what happened lol!

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks Arturo - I understand on the 'like' as I sometimes have a hard time giving a like to something that is a bit negative.

I should have known better than to pick up a sharp rock, especially when there were plenty of smooth rocks around. I've certainly learned a lesson :eek:

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Weird. Do you think it could have been from a band slap? I know some folks use mechanics gloves when they shoot. It may be time for me to try that as well. Did you have to do anything with your finger, or did it heal on its own?

6. KnuckieG

KnuckieG New Member

etrain it was weird I usually shoot gangster style so slaps are less of an issue the ammo is 9.5mm 38cal and single or double tbg all was good that day its a total mystery it healed after a few days so can't complain :)

I've started butterfly so way more worried about catching my head lol! Scratched my neck and cheek a few times but going through a can on my second shot with butterfly more than made up for it I was totally overexcited lol!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  7. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This happened to me as a lad while shooting rocks. It taught me a very important (and painful) lesson. Have never shot a rock since!!
    Looks to me as though the rock was too large for the pouch, or you flipped your wrist too early or late. But then, odd-shaped objects can take an unpredictable flight path too. I am sorry that happened, but I am glad that you got it out of the way now, and without stitches! Feel better!

8. KnuckieG

KnuckieG New Member

completely agree Will when I was starting dog biscuits were disposable ammo but irregularly shaped and unpredictable I felt like a dog biscuit magnet :D since switching to steel and lead balls there are too many benefits to list. TBG I find safer imho in using tubes I get way more fork hits and rts shots for some reason. Even if it's psychological I'm sticking with tbg.

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^:D
    The idea of shooting dog biscuits is extremely satisfying to me for some strange reason!!

10. KnuckieG

KnuckieG New Member

LOL! Not recommended though too light too unbalanced and too tempting as a reward :D

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hahaha!!! That about puts paid to that particular ammo idea! I will certainly take your word for it.:D

12. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I don't think it is the flight pass that causes hand hits when shooting rocks. That effect does not kick in before the stone leaves the pouch, at it is the air resistance that causes it.

I believe that oddly shaped stones have a high risk to drop out of the pouch. You often can't even center them right. That is why I recommend fairly large pouches for rocks.

13. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

auchh, hope you'll be healed up soon! my dog has round biscuits, i just got an idea

14. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Interesting, I have never shot rocks and seeing this I don't plan to anymore. Thanks!

Btw, my first hand hit was with a paintball, didn't do much damage but my slingshot and hand were all yellow:D
    Second one was with lead and took some skin off my finger, threw that slingshot into the trash can.

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

KnuckieG - I haven't tried full butterfly yet - I'll get there someday, for now, I'll stick with my jaw anchor point until I can consistently hit my targets. I think when it's time to try butterfly, I'll probably be a bit timid and go with some very light bands to start. Very strange about your hand, glad it healed up okay.

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It was the only rock I had a problem with, but it was the most non-uniform shaped rock. It did fit the pouch okay, and yes, I was lucky to avoid stitches. I already have two big scars on that hand from my electrician days. My pretty self doesn't need any more damage! :D

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

:p

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks for weighing in Joerg. One thing I've noticed with ammo that's not round is that it often takes anything but a straight flight path, sometimes whistling as it takes a tangent through the air. This rock wasn't particularly large, and I do feel I had it pretty well centered, but shooting odd shaped ammo, I was probably due for a lesson in aerodynamics!

19. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

CEZ - I have .68 cal paintballs I've been using for ammo. So far, they've been a great ammo - straight and clean flight, and who doesn't enjoy the splat at the end!

20. AttilaTheFun

AttilaTheFun New Member

OUCH!

Smallest bruises hurts the most :D (try being cut by paper:D)

I almost had the same accident today. I just started shooting (just made my first ever SS a week ago) We spent the day at my Girlfriend's parent's place and they had a huge pile of gravel so I made a makeshift target and started shooting. I picked up a sharp strange one and when i shot it, i could clearly see as it left the pouch early and flew up the air in a strange angle. I think it "rolled out" of the pouch, that's what might happened to you as well.

My pouch isn't the biggest one that could be the reason for it. I decided not to use any sharp stone:D I had no problem with the round ones i shot like... 150-200 times today and that one was the only one that went up so much. Of course when you use a stone that is kinda flat and round it wont go straight but otherwise i was surprised how accurate it became even with my crappy slingshot and my very little experience.

Fortunately i had no hand-hit so far (or fork-hit) but one of my colleagues lost a thumb-nail due to a terrible shot when he was a child and tried his father's hunter slingshot.