In the beginning there was the tree

Discussion in 'One of a kind' started by RamboX, Mar 19, 2014.

1. RamboX

RamboX New Member

In the beginning there was the wood

My dear slingshots fellows, lately I was thinking to present you not just the finished products of my craft work, but also a few pictures to see what the wood is look like before the end. So here it is:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I'm very jealous... but I think three may be a bit too many, you only have two hands after all (at least I ASSUME you have two hands.) It would be my honor to take one of these slingshots, leaving you with one for each hand
    What kind of wood is it?

3. RamboX

RamboX New Member

These are all made out of 3rd grade Turkish Walnut Tree.

4. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I am aware of your work and the high level of skill in your very accomplished products. It is always entertaining and informative to see the process that leads to an end. If you would continue this thread as a build log, I am sure that everyone here would be very pleased to see the whole sequence.
    Thanx for posting this.

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Flipgun has taken the words out of my mouth, thanks for posting :)

6. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I thought it looked like walnut! (I put an ! Because I feel accomplished for being right)
    Do you have a template for that design I really like it?

7. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey RamboX,

great sculpturing!- thanks for posting,
    I´m curious for the finished product..

regards,

Be

8. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

looks great I am eager to see the final product.

9. RamboX

RamboX New Member

Hi guys, here is some additional info about different stages in my craft work regarding this thread. So first I have to breaks down large planks into smaller pieces. Than cut out the smaller planks according to template and form it roughly. Forth: finalization of the template. Fifth: the grinding. Sixth: edging channel to determine how far will extend the grip. Seventh: making the grip with special tool. Eight:surface treatment with a chemical solution over the grip in order to seal the pores of the wood and to harden the surface in order to retain the roughness of the grip much longer. This stage is very important because if it is not filled properly the grip starts to destroy from the sweat of the hand and what is more small garbage collected there. Nine: mordant. Ten: Polishing by hand 20 successive layers.
    Here I attached several pictures from this stages. Unfortunately I don't have photos from every one of them. I hope to manage to take some next time.

Attached Files: