IMROVEMENT>Steel Card Slingshooting

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by TheFloppyFish, Nov 26, 2014.

1. TheFloppyFish

TheFloppyFish New Member

To improve the accuracy of the card shooter and possibly the power as well, you could add a barrel through which the card could be propelled. This would allow for a greater velocity in the intended direction (improves accuracy maybe?).
    You could position the card either vertically or horizontally. I feel like vertically you would get a greater spin, but horizontally it would travel faster.

PS: I just thought of another way to make it spin instead of the band pushing it into a spin. If you put a nub in the barrel and raised the top of the barrel to allow it to spin in the barrel, it would be perfectly straight as it exited barrel and you wouldn't need to worry about the band giving it enough spin after it exited!:D

PPS: Also, if you stopped the pushing mechanism attached to the bands before it reaches the nub then you wouldn't need to worry about the pusher wedging the card between the it and the nub.

Please comment on your thoughts guys!!

2. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Grab some tools and prove the concept. We like to see something new.

3. +1

4. TheFloppyFish

TheFloppyFish New Member

I have no tools to build this except wood and some sandpaper ):

5. Whittler

Whittler New Member

Sorry, I got confused. I'm not great at math, how many nubs does it take?:D

6. TheFloppyFish

TheFloppyFish New Member

By nub I kind meant a little rise at the bottom of the barrel that the card would hit. Also with the nub I would thing positioning the card vertically would go best.

Oh and in case I wasnt clear by barrel I meant a shape like a line so the opening would look like:

|

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  7. Whittler

Whittler New Member

Ok I get it now thanks. One Nub with a vertical barrel.

8. Whittler

Whittler New Member

Can I assume that the weapon will be shot indoors? Because wind direction and humidity will affect the shot otherwise.

9. TheFloppyFish

TheFloppyFish New Member

There was a steel card shooting video recently on the slingshot channel where it was shot outside. It wasn't a very effective though and he mentioned if anyone had an idea to improve it to tell him.

So I figured he would be most likely to see my improvement idea if there was a thread on the channel's forum.

As far as humidity and wind direction I wouldn't worry too much about it considering we are talking about steel cards and they have a considerably high mass.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  10. Whittler

Whittler New Member

I guess I should have asked more questions. At 1 meter you are correct in the assumption that the mass will carry the metal card. At 10 meters the wind, humidity and drag coefficient will become a definite factor from a slingshot that has the power to do say 200fps. How far are you planning to shoot?

11. TheFloppyFish

TheFloppyFish New Member

Honestly, I haven't thought that far into it. I think if anyone actually built this it 10-20 meters would be good

12. lucas414

lucas414 New Member

If you can make a design for this i think i could make it, then it will just be a regular trigger, but if you can design the barrel i might be able to test this.

Slingshots forever.

13. TheFloppyFish

TheFloppyFish New Member

I can draw it out when I get home