Improving accuracy and aim

Discussion in 'Tutorial videos' started by JimRhodo, Dec 6, 2013.

1. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Hopefully this will speak for itself:

[ame]http://youtu.be/tMDCXj4whUU[/ame]

2. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Good post Jim! Another bit of great info on consistency equalling accuracy is a thread by MJ over on SFF where he talks about open hand shooting with a wrist lanyard. In the physics of it it's a lot like shooting archery with a wrist sling open grip or thumb /finger pinch. It helps prevent torquing the frame allowing the equal band draw load to keep the forks straight. Theoretically the same thing that Joerg's "W" style frames do with the bearing/bushing swivel handles only maybe not as precisely till you train with the technique.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very informative.

4. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Keep up the good work! Thanks for posting!

5. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

6. slingashot

slingashot Over 50's Member

Great video and for people with only one slingshot that's the way to go and totally agree with what you are saying. But that's where the problem lies with me. I have a few slingshots and I am unable to commit myself to just shooting one for a whole month !! I know, I'm weak !! I want to be proficient with all of them !! Like my bows, I have one for hunting, one for bowfishing and one for tournaments and am proficient with all three - and my blowguns, and my throwing knives, etc. I agree the ammo should be the same but I change that also !! Still an excellent post, I know it's right but I just can't do it !!!

Brian Cuyle likes this.
  7. WildBill

Yeah, yeah, yeah... You're old and set in your ways. Us young-uns will just have to show you up.

-Wild Bill

8. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Confidence is everything.

Thanks to all who have replied. I'm actually in week three of the four week challenge. I made the video in response to "Bottle cap at 17 metres" where my kind friend Ghosth gave the text. As a newbie myself I hoped to inspire and encourage others as I have been inspired and encouraged.

My first score was 10/10 misses. in week 3 I get at least 2-3/10 hits. My main mistake was attempting 5cm targets at 5m as i should really have gone for a bigger target.

So anyone starting out, start with a barn door not a barn door handle as you will progress faster! Confidence is everything.

9. slingashot

slingashot Over 50's Member

Hey Jim, impressed with your commitment and progress. you can't beat building a good foundation to fall back if things start going wrong. You are also right about the confidence thing. You'll get to the stage when you know your going to hit your target and be surprised when you miss !!
    Have fun :)

10. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

That's it I'm in just need to make a pouch for El Halcón band it up, and make a cathcbox that will work, and get some ammo... this may take a while...
    I love the music in the vid

11. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Wild Bill beginning of week one.

Hey Bill, loved the video and the commentary was priceless

If you were to go with it your first week could look like this:

My target is an empty drinks can at 6 metres. Catapult is a natural moorhammer with flat bands. Ammo is ()mm ()" steel bearings.
    (20x5/16 hex nuts).

My first two lot of ten shots were 4 hits, two grazes and fourteen misses
    H:4 G:2 0:14

Will we meet again in a month?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  12. WildBill

I'll be here- my ammo is 5/16" hex nuts. I have 20 of them so I'm shooting 20 at each setting.

-Wild Bill

13. WildBill

I learned something tonight- a more effective draw method. As soon as I can get it loaded I'll post the video and the tally.

-Wild Bill

14. WildBill

Here's the tally, and proof of it-

20 shots with my Natural Moorhammer at 6 meters, using 5/16" hex nuts as ammo killing empty coke cans. 8 hits, two 'grazes', 10 misses (damn!!).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqU-w8kY-mY[/ame]

-Wild Bill

15. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

Nice improvements WildBill, may I ask what you changed about the draw ?
    Cheers
    Arturo
    PS ...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmgEyjJdVCg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmgEyjJdVCg[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  16. WildBill

Woot! Beautiful shooting, Arturo! I showed my wife the video and she said, "Aww, everyone from South America is so nice!"

I hold the slingshot with a hammer grip, but after watching you shoot I began to draw it beside my head as opposed to directly in front of me. It made a significant difference in my vertical accuracy, though I still need to figure the longitudinal aspect out better. I'm about to shoot my 20 practice shots so I'll let you know how it goes.

-Wild Bill

17. WildBill

My camera ran out of battery power, but my soda-can shooting tally today was 9 hits, 2 grazes and 9 misses with the Natural Moorhammer at 6 meters using 5/16" hex nuts as ammo.

-Wild Bill

18. Arturo Borquez

that's is very good ! ... lol ! it took me 3 month to reach your score when started 18 month ago, practice the form and the key is the RELEASE, so release release release ha ha ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

19. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Arturo, my friend!

You made me smile :), thank you for the "flowers"!
    And I am with your approach, the release! Although I don´t aim,
    my recent shots were pretty pleasing!- I "think" it´s also about
    NOT THINKING?- just shooting intuitively!?

Anyhow: i still smile,

Thanks and cheers
    to Chile!- Thanks!

Be

20. Arturo Borquez

Sure Be ! keep away any thoughts, like acrobats over the wire ha ha ... and I guess your elbow is also pleased pulling lighter bands lol !
    Cheers
    Arturo