I'm excited

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Jovis, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Jovis

Jovis New Member

I have been spending too much money buying slingshots recently but I love it so what the hell.

In the summer just gone I bought a lovely lucky seven with camel bone (the last one for a while I think). I have just ordered a milbro stagshead in brass and am (fingers crossed) expecting a brass moorhammer as a late birthday present.

I love the milbro style as it suits me well and I am very excited to try learning to shoot hammer grip. Also I am going to be trying green dubdubs for the first time too.

I really should be revising though :confused:

2. Jovis

Jovis New Member

No real point to this thread, I am just excited.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

3. Not everyone has the tools needed to build slingshots (I for example don't have much of anything for wood working but am setup for metal) and you must buy them. But don't lose heart, over time the tools are easy to get ahold of :)

4. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Try the Rambone from the official shop, great shooter and not too expensive.

5. Jovis

Jovis New Member

I've made a fair few already (3 multiplex, one oak PFS, a copper and ebony PFS and a tiny one out of a bottle opener) but I really don't have the time at the moment. I'm in the last year of my chemistry degree and weight train competitively so time is tight. I am just looking forward to the end of exams so I can go out for a walk and do some plinking.

6. Jovis

Jovis New Member

I can't get three in one month, my gf would kill me :p

7. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Live free, die well! ..

I spend half a life "prepping" (sooo stupid)..
    that´s BS- for it´s half over!

I have gathered a pretty nice shop with all tools I can imagine,
    for (not really) no money. Slingbug brought me back to ground:
    Crafting makes me happy.
    No time to waste to make too much money,
    better work on happiness directly (the rest will follow..)!
    Dead people do not use slingshots
    Dead people do not enjoy crafting.

The right time is now!

-stupidly simple, but ask a fish about water..

kind regards,

Be

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Thats more than enough of a reason for a thread! :)

Sounds like you have some nice shooters there, the brass moorhammers look amazing.

I use Rolyan flatbands, I heard DubDub was another name for Rolyan tubes. Anyone know if thats right?

9. AH YES, TIME! The enemy of many a hobby! Grats on your chem degree though, I majored in chem for a minute but transferred to webpage design, not many jobs where I live as a chemist unless I want to cook drugs (no thank you) but with the computer stuff I can work from anywhere. You ever think about doing some exploding slingshot ammo? I've been trying to get some together for a while now but I'm so busy I haven't had the chance :(

10. Jovis

Jovis New Member

Lol no, I'm more heading towards the protein/enzymology side of things. Although thinking about it I suppose anything that exploded on impact would be too risky as the force of the bands may set it off but maybe a pyrophoric in a glass ball could be fun. Or a paintball injected with something pyrophoric. Too much hassle for a little flame though maybe?

11. Jovis

Jovis New Member

I've no idea I've only ever used dankung, theraband and theratube before, I just saw some on ebay and thought I'd give it a try. I would like to try some .40 latex next I think.

12. Jovis

Jovis New Member

I've never really met an ex-prepper. Do you not prep at all anymore or just not as much as before?

13. It's actually a very simple two chemical mixture that is about as safe as an impact explosive can get. (which means don't muck around kiddos....) Understandable you not wanting to try, just figured I'd ask lol. I'll get around to doing it one of these days, with the amount of impact needed for the mix I am using the squeeze from the bands isn't an issue, I actually use a small smack from a hammer to test my mix when it is finished. It's not like monster snaps....

14. Half over my friend? My grandfather is almost 93 years old... He still mows his neighbors lawns every morning because he doesn't want to see the clutter in his neighborhood.... You probably have more than 40 years in you my friend :)

15. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I also mostly purchase my slingshots. I am married and nave a young child and work full time (sometimes more) and I travel occasionally for work. I don't have a lot of free time to build slingshots, so I buy them from talented builders, like Nathan from FlippinOut.

16. BOTH AWESOME CRAFTSMEN! Have you ever though to check out The Boss' W design, if you have a couple basic tool you have a slingshot that will hold bands most folks can't draw (it is made to hold up to Joerg's awesome stature after all) and is very simple and fast to build. It's the design I used for the shooter I am sending Onnod. (though the original used a dowel for the handle, only change I made to it)

17. Jovis

Jovis New Member

I just remembered I do have three large forks of Laburnum that should be nicely dried by the summer to use. Should be interesting to see whether it makes me sick or not.

18. Do you have an allergy? I sadly do not recognize the wood (I wostly work in metal :( )

19. Jovis

Jovis New Member

It's also known as Golden Chain, it contains Cytisine but mainly in the flowers, buds and seeds etc. Most people are fine with it but some have an allergic reaction. It has a dark heartwood and is quite nice looking.

Hopefully it'll look like this when I get back home

http://www.creative-woodturner.com/lang/EN/images/laburnum.jpg

From the "Wood Database"
    Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, Laburnum contains the toxin cytisine. Taken in large quantities, cytisine can be fatal; however, in smaller quantities (such as those inhaled during woodworking operations), constitutional effects have been reported, such as nausea, vomiting, and headache.

20. AH! So there is a chem in the dust, wear a breathing mask you'll be fine :)